1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Edging Question and PAS or Stihl Kombi

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A-Land, Jun 22, 2008.

1. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at re-defining some beds..... Not making them out of scratch but they are quite a bit grown in. I've done it for a while just with a straight blade shovel.... but I think an edger would be a lot faster and leave a more neat line. Regardless of brand.... should any gas edger do the job just fine?? I'm not sure if they are just for maintaining the edges or not.....

On a separate note..... does anybody have experience with the attachment series for echo or stihl? I'm going to need to pick up a number of tools in the coming weeks..... and I guess my question is can an attachment take the place of a dedicated tool? For instance would you be comfortable trimming hedges all day with an attachment to a Echo PAS (for example) or would you rather pick up a dedicated hedge trimmer??

I'm willing to pay for what's the best to use.... just looking for some opinions.
  2. btnj47

btnj47 LawnSite Senior Member

I own the stihl kombi with the edger and line trimmer attachment. it works great I do use a dedicated hedge trimmer though. if I wanted a long reach hedge trimmer i would get the attachment for it . i guess it depends on what your planning to do with it. dont forget if the motor head breaks all your tools are down. i use the kombi line trimmer when my dedicated trimmer goes down or for a back up or if i need to run 2 .
  3. A-Land

Good point.... I need an edger and hedge trimmers this week and I think I am going to go with dedicated hedge trimmers, and then go with a Echo PAS with the edger and I can add attachments thereafter. A $100 attachment is a lot cheaper than a dedicated tool that I won't use a whole lot....
  4. A-Land

5. CGlisson

CGlisson LawnSite Member

I run the Echo PAS 230 with the line trimmer. It works great for me. I'm planning on buying the articulating hedge trimmer attachment as soon as my dealer gets another shipment of them in. I guess they're popular around here...
  6. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

I like the Echo PAS system. When you get an edger check out The Trenchblade, it is awesome for redefining bed lines
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I have the pas-265 with edger and trimmer attachments. I'm picking up the articulating hedger attachment today. I'd rather have the long reach attachment then have to use a step ladder to reach the tops, and then hold the weight of a shorter dedicated hedger over the tops. Plus I intend on using it to cut down tall grass/weeds on some steep banks at a few customers homes. I have used a string trimmer but I'm also hoping the hedger will work too as I could be done ALOT faster.
  8. 1st Choice

1st Choice LawnSite Member

I have the echo 265 with the trimmer as well as edger... works great looking to get hedge trimmer as well
  9. A-Land

I checked out the trenchblade, not 100% sure what makes it 800% plus shipping the cost of a regular blade.
  10. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search for trenchblade on here and see what people who have used it are saying