Edging question.......????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Sharks, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, I have never used an edger before but realize that no other lcos here do either. Everyone just flips their string trimmers upside down. I thought it would set me apart from the pack by investing in a good edger and I am relying on my faithful LS friends to provide some answers.

*Is the typical 3hp walkbehind old style edger good for edging flower beds? Most seem to market to "Sidewalk and Driveway edging".

*What are the benefits of having a stick edger over a walkbehind other than price?

Here in Vermont we have some large estates and my clients have copious amounts of flower beds but very little "paved" walkways and driveways. I feel that, since no one has properly edged these properties in many years, that a walkbehind will do the job better or do I need more machine?

So, tell me about your edging of beds. Will a 3 hp Power Trim make me look like a pro or do I need to go with something bigger?

Fully expect that once the edges are established that I will be able to maintain them with a stick edger for most of the season but I am looking to impress on the first shot next year.

Let's talk edging!!!!!

2. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We still find after trying both methods that hand edging is the best. We have no respect for the little 3hp edgers...they're just about useless in our opinon. We edge all of our beds by hand. If we have a property with alot of edging we will rent the Brown edger and go over everything but then go over everything again quickly by hand to get a nice deep straight sharp edge. The Brown edger is leaps & bounds above the 3hp walk behind models. But to get the BEST edges around your gonna have to do em by hand. Just my opinion...

We still do all of our driveway & walkway edging with a trimmer upside down. Once you get the feel you can keep em straight as an arrow & move fairly quickly. We have a stick edger that NEVER leaves the shop...couldn't be bothered.
  3. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

We use the 3 hp edger all the time, customers like the clean edge much better then the upside down trimmer. At first it too time, but it can be just as quick as a trimmer. For flower beds we have bed trimmer but only use it once or twice a season. The trimmer will do great for the inbetween treatments.
  4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

For maintaing edges , either in beds or along sidwalks, I use a trimmer wiht an EDGIT.

To find the edge of an overgrown sidewalk I rent (hope to buy my own soon) a 3hp walkbehind edger, I've never tries edging a bed with one. I did use a little wonder edger for walks once but it was slower and more work than the walkbehind.

To redifine the edges of beds I would use a brown or similar edger. I have used one alot for putting in black plastic edging. It did a great job even in HARD soil conditions, and you can just rake the exec soil back into the bed. I have also used a turfco edger- it has a side blade that works backand forth kind of like a sod cutter, and you can get a flat or a V blade, but then you have more cleanup.

If there is edging in place and I am just remulching I will just use a shovel to dig a few inches out along the edge and maybe the trimmer to edge the turf side.

That's what works for me , you have to decide what will work for you.
  5. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

For sidewalks and driveways the stick edger can't be beat. I used to always use the trimmer and I can make a good edge with it. But the stick edger makes a perfect edge everytime and you can almost run with the thing once you get used to it. Flowerbeds are done by hand. The wb edgers are a waste of time and just take up space. You can grab the stick edger out of the truck..start it and edge most houses in three minutes or so.
  6. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

For hardscaped areas I use a stick edger. They cost the same as a string trimmer and you could store it on your trimmer racks. A walk behind edger would take up to much space on my trailer.

For landscaped beds I use a sting trimmer upside down if the mulch isn't right up against the turf. If it is, I use my stick edger. I've found that it doesn't throw mulch all over like my trimmer.

In my area they're no commercial lco's that I've seen using walk beind edgers. They all use their trimmers or stick edgers. If the edge is real overgrown the first time use a flat shovel to get a good edge. After that a stick edger will keep the edge nice so long as your there on a regular schedule.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

For SIDEWALKS and CURB edges, I use my Echo Stick edger.

For flowerbeds and paved driveways I just use the string trimmer.

When I mulch beds, I use a spade shovel.

I tried a few times to use the stick edger on a flower bed edge, but I guess I'm just not used to it. I'm quicker with the string trimmer. There's just too many curves and roots to hit around a flowerbed to have the stick edger be more efficient.

Stick edgers are VERY usefull if you do a lot of subdivisions or developments with perimeter sidewalks, boulevards, curbs. The rest I just use the String Trimmer.
  8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

If you're talking about establishing an edge around a driveway or sidewalk where there has obviously not been an edger or even a string trimmer in a long time it's nice to have a 3-5 hp wheeled edger. You can do it with a stick edger but it takes longer and is harder on your tricepts.

I only use my stick edger anymore to maintain edges like twice a year, (spring and again in fall) the rest of the time I use my string trimmer.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree completely. If you're going to buy ONE edger, buy a wheeled edger. Yes, you NEED an edger. You can hear from guys all day and night long say about how they never use an edger because they just use their string trimmer, BUT a string trimmer isn't going to cut off an inch and a half of sod that is 1/2 inch thick. The reason I recommend a wheeled edger over a stick, is the ease of use. If these had came out AFTER the stick edgers, then everyone would be ranting and raving about these for their ease of use. With a stick edger, if you arte doing any significant amount, their is a fatigue factor there on your arms, especially your triceps from keeping the end pushed down in for the duration. With a wheeled edger, you can operate it with one finger and thumb on each handle at times. Where the stick edger really shines is on the already established edges, and you're just keeping them cleaned out. Yes, you can do this with a string trimmer if you don't mind being sandblasted in the face and the ever present risk of injury. Also, a string is NOT going to displace the soil like a steel blade does. As far as wheeled edgers go, a high recommendation would be the McClane. This is a well built machine that gives alot of bang for the buck. Some years ago, John Deere even used them for THEIR edgers. What's really cool, is that these edgers are even available at Home Cheapo, as they have been for a few years now.
  10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a stick edger on beds and curbs