1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Edging question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gunputt, Aug 14, 2003.

1. gunputt

gunputt LawnSite Member

I need to install 300 feet of black plastic edging, and I am wondering if there is an alternative to a sod cutter or a spade for cutting the trench.
    Thanks, John
  2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to use a machine called "E-Z Trencher". It made a nice 4" deep inch wide trench in heavy dry silt soil. It was excellent.
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Yepp,A bed edger will get you there,But talk them out of that god awful plastic crap.It don't last but 2-3 years before its up and out of the ground.Plus it don't look worth a dang.
  4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with dvmcmrhp52 about it looking like crap. Depending on your clients, it might be a necessary and profitable part of your business.

There are better quality plastic edging like Oly-Ola or Edge King (?) that stand up to sun light.
  5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Why the plastic edging? Need to hold back gravel or mulch?
  6. Trim Creations

Trim Creations LawnSite Member
    from Ks

I must agree I refuse to use the plastic, metal or stone or concrete. never plastic more labor, more work, less $$$$, And the end user is not happy.
  7. idugaholez

idugaholez LawnSite Member

Wow, suprised to hear all the nagative comments about black plastic edging. Ive been in business for six years, and worked for a landscaper for 5 years before that, and I can only remember repairing about a 6foot section that came up. I put it in with a Brown trencher, with an edging blade, and use Valley V iew Ace of diamond edging. I do use more stakes (usually 5 to 6 depending on how many curves), but to this day, have had basically no problem with it. I bout the edger mid way through my first landscaing job. I had put in about 120' of edging by hand, i wan to say it took us about 2 hours to put it in. I went and bought the edger, and put in the other 100 feet in about 25 minutes. I highly recomend it, its paid for itself over and over.
  8. Stickman11

Stickman11 LawnSite Member

Why are you using the bed edger with the 4" trenching blade?
    You need to use the straight edge blade on the trencher. This allows the black plastic to go straight in, tight, and no holding it for back fill. But I'm in aggreement with all of you T-A-C-K-Y!!!
    And I'll never do it...for anyone!!!!!

The McGuire Landscape
    Richmond, VA.
  9. adamc6

adamc6 LawnSite Member

Where is a good place to buy edging?