1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Edging questions....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JShe8918, Oct 12, 2008.

1. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

The city is bidding a contract to maintain the edging of all of the curbs and sidewalks of a street in town... They gave us the total linear feet as being a little over 2 miles of edging. This is including all three edges. The street curb and both sides of the sidewalk. They want it done once a month for a year. The current edge is in pretty good shape. The bid is also to include removal of the excess grass. I was figuring around $550. Does that sound reasonable.

I also have a couple of accounts who want me to refresh some of their old bed edges. That is not a problem but what is a problem is that my brown throws all of the dirt it digs right back into the flower bed... What is a solution to this?
    Therefore causing me to have to remove the mulch in that area and clean it using a wire screen. Most want new mulch so that isn't a problem but two want strictly the edge redefined. Any help is much appreciated.

2. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

What is your normal growing season? Six months or ten months? How long will it take to walk 2 miles plus go back and pick up the mess? I think for 2 miles of edging and cleanup you're way cheap. Just my opinion.

3. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds a bit cheap to me.

4. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would be thinking about 700/month

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

What's does "removal of excess grass" mean? Is it simply blowing?

I don't see your bid as way low or too cheap. How long could it possibly take.. 2 hours by yourself... maybe?

It only takes 20-25 minutes to walk a mile... slowly.

Good luck......

6. JShe8918

thanks guys. I like to charge atleast 50 cents per foot if I have a residential that calls and ask for me to do there's. Since they mow there own grass. And the minimum is 35 dollars nzlrmally. I think I am going to bid about 775-800 because I forgott about all of the blades I will have to replace while doing this. Thanks guys

7. JShe8918

most of the grass we have here will take over a sidewalk in a short period of time. Bermuda is what happens to line these walkways and it is a tough little thing it holds on with everystrand it can

8. Lawn-Scapes

As for the mulch... rake it back away from edge.. then edge and smooth dirt.. then rake mulch back over. done.......

9. Lawn-Scapes

So you estimate it will take you 13 -17 man hours? I know things are a little slower down there.. but not that much. :)

10. howierd3866

howierd3866 LawnSite Senior Member

we get a penny a foot but we do way over two miles at a time