Edging questions???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rebel77, May 23, 2003.

1. rebel77

rebel77 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

What do you guys use to edge? I have a mclane edger that is ok for a bed that has been established. I know they make a different kind of edger that is for putting in new beds. What are they, cost, good brands, and what is the difference between the two?

2. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have one but I just got a free video on one in the mail from BedShaper. Call 1-866-233-7427 and request a free video and info. I'm sure they have a website but not sure what it is.
  3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I use the trusty old shovel method.
  4. I just purchased the ez-trencher and it seems to do a good job, it comes in handy on the tree bases because it has such a tight turning radius.

Pape's Landscape Maint.
  5. rebel77

rebel77 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks, I called for the video. How much am I looking at spending? I really think it would help me out.

6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Bringing this back up!

Also what is everyone charging to reshape a bed with a true bed edger per foot?

I have a new customer that I would like to bring this up before they put out the mulch, and thought I could work up a price before.

And which bed edger is everyone using/buying and why?

I have also been looking around and not too sure. Some look very similar in the way they work. Any advice is much appreciated!
  7. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

For bed edging here's what I do. I use a stick edger to cut the edge around the bed. Then I take a shovel at a 45 degree angle inside the edge to cut away a ledge for the mulch to lay on. The low end of the cut is towards the outside of the bed like this... \|

That's how I do it. It takes some time, but it really leaves some killer edges. As far as billing, take your hourly labor rate times your expected hours and there is your price.
  8. rebel77

rebel77 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I may try that. Do you use a spade or flat square shovel?
  9. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I friend of mine has a bedshaper, he lend it to me one day and I did fall in love with it, it's not the same doing 20' linear foot with a shovel than 3,000', the shape was perfect and the time that it took was amazing, (compare to a shovel or stick edger), I think it runs for about $4,500 but if you have the need for it it's worth it, this place, I did last year for about $600 I came up a little short at the end because the time that it took, but this year I made some good profit using the bedshaper, I now I have to get it next season.
  10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

The Brown bed edger is awesome..not only does it cut a perfect deep edge, but it pulverizes the soil. You then need only to brush the soil back into the bed and start the mulching. By far easier than edging by hand and no clods of dirt to haul away. I plan on buying one soon because I need it for many small jobs and renting it for a one or two hour job is not cost effective. The cost is around $1800. Will pay for itself very quickly. But.....even the new model where the back wheels can turn, does a lousy job going around even larger tree rings. I have to do those by hand. ALso, where there are shrubs right up to the edge, the discharge part of the machine will damge shrubs if you are not VERY careful. Once you use one of these you will want one...truly the most profitable machine I have ever used.