edging restraint .....

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mdmowerman, Mar 30, 2007.

1. mdmowerman

mdmowerman LawnSite Member
    from 20833

I am in the planning stages of a flagstone patio, laid in crushed stone. One side is going to be a quarter moon shape, the other side will be boardering the edge of a deck, which is a few feet higher. One side is the house. overall there is about a 5-7inch drop off, i dont think that using 6x6's would be feasible, with curve. any other suggestions. Is there any type of basic material that could be used. I am ready to hear what everyone has to say, so lets hear it.

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Be used to restrain what edge? The curved edge should be restrained with a flexible edging. The 5-7" drop needs a step or a grade change. Sounds like you may want to build the area up. No excavation required in this scenario.

I'm really not seeing what you're asking though.

3. mdmowerman

from 20833

im worried about teh base washing out... even if it is compacted would this be an issue???

4. Team-Green L&L

The grade change would have to begin 15-20 ft. away from the base and the soil is compacted to 85% density in 1" lifts (just like the base) The top 2" of soil can be loosely compacted to allow for sod to take. If you grade it properly you should have no issues.

You may want to add a layer of geotextile between your sub base and base to prevent any settling long term.

5. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

in situations like this it would be nice to post a pic so that we can see the exact situation you are dealing with. it sound like you need to bring the grade up to the patio or build a retaining wall. most likely you can just bring the grade up to the patio.

6. mdmowerman

from 20833

I am going to bring it up to grade, and tamp the backfill. thats what i was leaning towards. If anyone else has any ideas suggestions that would be great.

Thanks a bunch for the responses!!!!!!!!!!!

i would of added a pic but my digital camera is acting up something fierce.

7. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

TG- how many times do you have to be told that 85% density is NOT ENOUGH for crushed stone???

Mowerman- if you are looking to restrain the flagstone, use flexible paver edging, set on the base.

8. dirty bob

dirty bob LawnSite Member

then extend the base out at least 6" beyond flagstone and use edging for pavers and spike well. but really I aint sure what you mean

9. Team-Green L&L

This was a miscommunication error. The soil that he will be compacting should be compacted like the base (but to 85% density). Aggregate should be compacted to a minimum of 98% of Proctor Density, but 100% is prferred.

After your post I reread my post and see how you took that, but the "how many times do you have to be told..." comment was out of line. No one has ever had to tell me that and I am a "frequent-flyer" to certification classes, so that was a tad rude.

I still like you though. No hard feelings.