edging the initial edge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenGrassEarnsCash, Jul 7, 2005.

1. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

I dont know about anyone else but i hate edging that initial edge of a customer who hasnt had it done in a lonnnnng time! i was wondering if there were any hints or tips on how i can make this go smoothly and easily. thanks! Also what do you guys charge for an initial edging?
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

can be easieer if yoyu use a walk behind first time, then you can use a stick edger after that , or just tough it out and get it done with the stick edger
  3. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

Seems to works for me fine. On the ones that have never been done, i use a a stick edger and follow that up with either a flat shovel or a trimmer to clean up anything that the stick edger missed. There's nothing like a nice edge.
  4. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

The hardest part I find about it is finding the edge of the sidewalk and following it. Does anyone else find this hard?

I would give you advice on pricing but I need advice myself.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Follow the edge with a flat shovel first, it helps when it's way overgrown. You don't have to follow all of it unless you want to make it easier on the edger. I don't do this much but, I'll edge about a shovel width and skip a few feet if the surface seems to be straight.
  6. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

If you have alot of linear footage, use a walk-behind. 25 cents a foot.
  7. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

If the turf has grown out onto the cement by more than a couple of inches I've found it's easier to use the string trimmer for a rough draft and then clean it up with the edger. You'll go thru more line this way but the edging goes a lot quicker. Estimate how long it will take you to do it and add in some equipment charges and fuel expenses. I caught on during the 2nd job. That's the funny thing about estimates.......they always seem better before the work begins.
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Landscape edging or Lawn edging?
  9. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

lawn edging
  10. rtr

rtr LawnSite Member

I do ALOT of intials! (Bank owned Foreclose properties) I have found for the real bad stuff I get the cleanest edge with an axe. Find the cement, start a cut and then chop chop chop ,fine tune with the stick edger. My record for longest unbroken peice is 58'!