edging the mulch bed?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Picman, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Picman

Picman LawnSite Member

When edging mulch beds ive always used a shovel. Is there a machine that is better to this and is it worth getting?
  2. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Yes bed edger. We had ours payed off with the first 3 jobs. We do 10 ft in 30 sec

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

the bed edger is my best friend. actually i still make the guys use spades on a few accounts that have a lot of outdoor lighting. if you get a bed edger just make sure you have sprinkler heads and cables i the truck to fix lines and lighting cables. even though they are supposed to be deep.....i guarantee youll hit some. either way the bed edger is the best thing since corn flakes.
  4. Picman

Picman LawnSite Member

Sweet! well how much will one run me... and which brand is the best?
  5. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

After demoing a Brown bed edger, it was a no brainer. I did 900-1000ft on my property in about 25 min. Yes it is pricey, but it saves my back and it can do other jobs.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

A Brown bed edger runs about $2300. Here's their home page. http://www.brownmfgcorp.com/index.html . You might want to consider renting one, if you don't want to buy one. Bed Shaper, Bed Bug and a few other names are also available.
  7. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

why dont you guys just use a stick edger? Ive been using them for years!
  8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have the brown bed edger. Its the only way to go. Best $2310 payup spent this year. Paided for it on the first 3 jobs. Took one job that took 6 to 7 hours by hand down to 27 minutes. :)
  9. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

I can't rent them around here yet, still need to search more though. Wish I had one, I've been using a matock and it's painstaking work. I have several bids out for edging right now and my local rental doesn't carry one.
    They do have a big lawn edger with a x blade that can go deep enough and hase the power, but for wide bed materials like timbers, I'd have to use the quarter inch blade and shave off the extra width.
    Do the bed edgers cut edges for timbers (wide) in one swoop or are they thin blade like a lawn edger? I can do plastic edging with the lawn edger, but not timbers or stones.
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The bed edger cuts a big trench for edge. Unlike the slick edger which make a little cut.

As for the timbers. This is where the brown comes in handy. You just change out the reel. Brown makes a reel that is for putting in landscape timber. They make a 4x4 and 6x6 trenching reel.

Also they make trenching reels that are 1/2" wide to 3" wide and dig 8" deep.
    And who can forget the stump grinding reel.