1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

edging tire marks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnranger44, May 20, 2003.

1. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a three wheel edger that i use on sidewalks. I do edging once a month for 9 of my customers. while i'm edging the dirt gets kicked up and covers the sidewalk in front of me. so when i get to that part the tires mush the dirt into the sidewalk and i can't get the marks off. After i clean up and blow the loose dirt off, there are ugly tracks where the tire was. Is there anything i can do to stop this!? should i look for a hand-held edger or what? what do you do for edging?
  2. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

This can happen with a hand held edger as well. What I do now is lift the wheel from the ground when I edge.

I guess it will be kinda hard to do with a push edger.

Or you could always go backwards :D
  3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Put an EDGIT on your trimmer and leave the wheeled edger at home. I only use a blade edger for first time or once a year edging.

4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Hi Paul - TTT
  5. PaulJ

Hey flex,
    havn't seen you here in a while. Good to see your posts.

BTW, I still have "Your product" in mind but I don't think it's in the cards this year, I've got some more marketing to do first.

6. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I took the wheel off my stick edger. It works great. I will never use a big 3 wheel edger again.
  7. Bill Boroskey

Bill Boroskey LawnSite Member
    from CT.

I second The Edgit!!!!! I have had one for 3 or 4 years. I LOVE IT.
    I only bring the three wheel blade edger out in the begining of the year. Most of my accounts didn't even need to be done with it. Because I hit most of the edges every week the edgit stays on top of things.

It is a great tool. Its just about maintenance free, takes up no additional space on the trailer, on less gas tank to fill and Won't do damage to a side walk of you by some chance aren't paying attention to where you are going.

Just my $.02

8. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

Do you still neeed a regular string trimmer head with you? Does the edgit replace the head? Does it use string or a blade?
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The wheel comes off to prevent this problem from occurring. Just go slow the first few times to get the hang of it.

10. PaulJ

The EDGIT is a trimming and edging guide. It is also a better gaurd than the factory ones. It is a plastic wheel that mounts between the rimmer head and the gear box. It's edge is in the same plane as the string. The trimmer keeps it's original head and the string still does the cutting. The trimmer is still used for all trimming. ( there may be a few narrow places it can't get into) The disc can turn so it rolls along the ground when edging but it doesn't spin with the string.

Go to www.EDGIT.com and get the whole story.