edging with a string trimmer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by juicymixx, Aug 24, 2007.

1. juicymixx

juicymixx LawnSite Member

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to get a new string trimmer, the Stihl FS 45 C-E Trimmer. I'm hoping to replace my old dying trimmer as well as my older (just fell apart) edger. I was thinking of using the string trimmer as an edger also, and was wondering if there was anything I should know? Are there any tips for edging with a string trimmer?

Thanks.

2. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

most important tip, wear goggles

3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

A string trimmer will only work as an edger if the egde has already been established. I usually edge all properties once a month and then maintain the edge with a string trimmer the other three weeks.

Bite the bullet and purchase an edger you wont regret having one and it will make your finished product look so much better then what a string trimmer can produce.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. We see guys on here tat try to tell us that a string trimmer works just as well, that you can edge with a trimmer, and even that they can go as fast with a trimmer as they can with an edger. I laugh every time.

5. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

you can edge a new edge with a string trimmer(.105-.155 line) without any problems. i've posted pictures of yards i've done before.

6. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

edger looks more professional and leaves a nice vertical cut as opose to a rounded cut. get the edger b/c youll have learn how to use the trimmer as an edger, which will take up more time.

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

get a stright shaft, not a curved one

8. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

Straight shaft is a must. Curved shafts force you to bend over, putting undue stress on your back.

You'll need an edger to do any first time edging, meaning lawns that have not been edged in several weeks. Once you get the edge in shape, you can maintain it with a string trimmer.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Just get a trimmer in the range of SRM 230 Echo or bigger and it will be just fine....we do hundreds of job each year never had a need for edger...just got to know how to get that edge. If it so bad that trimmer can't do it...then not likely to be a very good long term customer.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I've never seen a string trimmer that will cut a sod one inch deep and move along at any productive rate.It just doesn't equal steel.