1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

edging with a string trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

i find that edging with my string trimmer uses A LOT of string. i let the line out very far, and give it about half throttle (obviously turned at a 90 degree angle) i let the string do all the work.

i find myself using a lot more string. any thoughts? :confused:
  2. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

when you are edging make sure that only the tip of the line is touching the ground. If the length of the line is 3inches and 2 inches of it is hitting the ground it will eat it up.

3. RedOak

RedOak LawnSite Member
    from DFW

You might try taking off the grass/debri shield, less weight, more visibility, quicker trimming, and you will use less trimmer line. If you go this route definetly always wear safety or sunglasses everytime you trim.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

some can, some cant. i just never was able to do it satisfactory ,with a trimmer.
    mabe if ida put the bottle o jim beam dn and used two hands . nah:)
  5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Just keep working with it. It will take time to get the right touch for the desired edging you want without eating much line. Practice, practice, practice...hahaha! You will get it soon!

Maybe try holding it in a different position. Some guys walk forward, some backward. Some hold the trimmer head out front, some behind them. Some hold the trimmer straight up and down, so there are a lot of ways you can try. Even switching hands could help.....you never know!
  6. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on the property. I like using the string when I can.
    For commercials I always use the stick.
    It can be done without using up all the string in the container.;)
    Just takes some practice.
  7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for the replies and ideas...

i already took the sheild off my trimmer. (makes it lighter for sure)

and i really like the jim beam idea!!

and i do agree about PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

i will work on only letting the end of the string touch the ground.

thanks again
  8. Lawn Wizard

Lawn Wizard LawnSite Member

I dunno what kind of trimmer your using, but I used to run mine at half throttle (Echo SRM 2100) while edging and have found that eventually the engine gets all gummed up. Im sure there is some deep technical reason, but from what the dealer told me that trimmers need to idle or run at full throttle, because anywhere in between is where the engine is pushing alot of gas through the system to get up to the high throttle. So by running it at half throttle all the time all that fuel gums up the exhaust and causes power failure.

Ive been edging with the string trimmer for almost 2 years now and I think Im ready to switch to a stick edger.
  9. Now that just aint gonna work-put the bottle down you get a bad case of shakes:drinkup: :drinkup:

I can keep it looking good if I use the push edger every 4-5 weeks, use trimmer in between.
  10. dr grass

dr grass Banned

i dont use the string trimmer to edge. i think it looks like ****. i think its faster using a stick edger anyways.