Edging with a trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tharrell, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I read in another thread about guys holding their trimmers left side up/down etc......
    I hold mine sorta straight up and use my left hand on the trigger. My trimmer is kinda upside down. Do any of you guys do it that way?
    I used to walk backwards and sorta drag it in the groove but that's way too slow.
  2. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

I flip my Redmax upside down and walk to the left. It took a while to get my technique down, but now I can fly!
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Hold it right side up and walk forward not backward. It is very easy to make a nice trim line on southern grasses don't know about you area. However, you can probably hold it any way you want and make a good trim line. Interesting that I don't see any workers in our area hold it like you suggest or right side down....don't know why.
  4. green_with_envy

green_with_envy LawnSite Member
    from pa

Ditto. Except with a Echo

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

Stick edgers are for amatuer's, I use a stick edger on big complexes for curbs and streets only. I always use a weed eater on the beds. Why walk the property 20 times when you can walk it once. You mow it then you get a weed eater and strap a back pack on at the same time. You edge, weedeat ,burn the weeds in the beds with the weed eater, trim shrubs with the weed eater as you go along and then blow off at the same time as you walk along.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to mow at the same time so I can get rid of the idiot employee!:laugh:
  6. rocksrscott

rocksrscott LawnSite Member

We started in business this year and to save on start up money did not buy any edgers. I tried the style you are talking about but it took way too long.;)
    I talked to the salesman at BPS and he gave me the good and bad points on stick edgers. I ask him about the "Edgit" he had never seen one but had not heard anything bad about them. :rolleyes: They wanted to sell them but Edgit will only sell through the mail.
    I bought one for about $50.00 and I will always have one now!:clapping:
    I can edge as fast as I can walk or trot and do a fantastic job.:walking:
    I have heard some people that do not like them because they are too set in their ways but may consider one for new hires. We run it on our Echo SRM 210 a small engine but it works great. It also helps me on regular trimming because I can see where the line is because of the Plate (Edgit)
    My business said it was the best item I have purchased for the business yet,:cool2: He will only use it for edging.

No I do not work for or own any stock in the Edgit company. (might be an idea to see if they sell stock):rolleyes:

I was sceptical when I saw the demo video on the internet. Nothing can work that good. I was only a little right it works good but not as good for me as the video.:drinkup:

Not what you were looking for but if looking for a way to edge quickly and with quallity this is a good option.

Enjoy Scott
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I may not have described it accurately. I walk forward with my trimmer flipped over, it's almost straight up and the power head is near the left side of my head. My left middle finger is on the trigger and my right hand is on the shaft to guide it. Oh hell, you know what I mean.
  8. anj

anj LawnSite Member

I Use A Stick Edger On All My Properties But Not On The Beds. I Use My Weedeater On The Beds And Use The Method You Guys Are Talking About I Use To Burn Up A Lot Of String When I First Started Trying This But Now I Can Go Around A Large Bed Without Bumping The Head . It Is Kind Of Dangerous To Use This Method Because Rocks Fly Very Far When Hit By A Weed Eater.
  9. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont hold mine straight up. I just turn it sideways(to my left). To keep the rocks and stuff flying everywhere, try to keep the trimmer head close to the ground. I dont use full throttle either. Sidewalks and driveways, forget it. Takes way too much time.
  10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

hold the trigger in your left hand
    trim and edge on your right side walking forward.
    "follow the edge"