Edging With Line Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cvlm, May 23, 2006.

1. cvlm

cvlm LawnSite Member

When you guys edge with a line trimmer do you walk on the grass or sidewalk and why also do you walk frontwards or backwards thanks for the advise.

2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

The best thing is to put an EDGIT on your trimmer but you can do it without one. (I won't) Left hand on the throttle right hand on the handle controlling where you cut. trimmer head on your right walk forward. Debris is thrown away from what you are trimming along. When edging turn the trimmer so the head is cutting vertically and walk on the sidewalk or the grass whichever feels better or is more convenient.
    Go www.edgit.com and read "following the edge" it seams simple but is a great system to keep in mind when trimming and edging.

3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

how is this easier than just using a stick edger? i know some lawns i rarely have to edge, others i do almost weekly, some NEED a real edger to do or start for the season, i rarely use my trimmer for edging, my redmax 26cc makes it look awesome:)

4. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I will edge with the stick edger to get the trench cut and then I will use my line trimmer. On the grass and backwards. I find that even with a new blade the stick edger leaves a rough finish and the line trimmer leaves a good smooth finish.

5. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I use my line trimmer only when i'm to lazy to start my stick edger!LOL... but the line trimmer never looks as good as the stick edger.I walk on the side walk and walk backwards when using my line trimmer.It's a good idea to know how to do it both ways in-case something brakes down!

6. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

I paid good damn money for my stick edger, you better beleive im going to use it. I use my string trimmer for trimming grass and i use my edger for edging, there is a correct tool for every job.

7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

agreed, its consistent looking, perfectly sharp and even, not like a huge rut next to the sidewalk, my edger going forward works well on pre done walks... goes fast, sometimes i walk it backwwards and relaly get it to dig it out good, but i dont need to do that often.

8. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

well I cut 90% bermuda, and there is no way to keep it edged niceley with a trimmer. Stolons, my friends from up north, you don't have to deal with those.

9. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Stick edger is way easier to edge with and it always looks perfect...I suck at edging with a trimmer..

10. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

How often do you have to sharp the blade on the Edger?