Edging Yard without Curb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfer, Apr 26, 2001.

1. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

I have several customers who have yards without curbs. Their grass grows out to the asphalt street. What is the best way to edge something like this ? I've tried stick edger and weed eater with poor results. The edge is not straight. Help !

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

A walk-behind edger might work...never had that type of yard so I am not for sure that it will do what you want, but it is worth a shot

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

take two stakes and a string. then put them right in the grass and make a line where the edger wont hit the asphalt. make the edge with the edger and then roughly use a shovel to the asphalt side. you may see a little dirt but there will be a straight edge.

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My own yard is like that. I just use my stick edger and do the best I can. It's not perfect but it looks a lot better than it did before.

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

many of the mid size res'i & some larger in nice neighborhoods have this around here ...hard to get it super straight but with time it will come ...the trick is DON'T edge back to the end of asphalt (as this is never straigt) you have to keep the edger just off the edge and not dig to deep ....just enough to cut the "thatch" .....

we use roundup to kill the larger out of place tuff .....keep working to get the line than once you have a fairly straight one it get's much easier ....it's a $%#@^ when working with poor tuff as there is no real thickness to the line ......

another problem is when neglected for years it breaks up the asphalt and begins to crumble ....if it's more you than the customer .....you have work with it ....if it's them than I would snap a Plummer's line

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

To get a nice looking edge along an asphalt surface, you have to make an edge on the asphalt. I do this with my wheel edger by setting the blade just above the surface, then cutting the edge. Sometimes have to scrape the surface with the blade. This could probably be done with a stick edger also.

If you try to edge along an asphalt surface like you do on concrete ones, you will never get a nice edge, because asphalt edges are never straight.

7. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

Use your stick edger with a well worn blade to do your initial cut in,then take a sharp square point shovel to take up the excess.The 2nd time should be alot easier.
    Dave

8. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

Spray the edge with round up then edge this way you can see the edge better after the grass is dead