Edging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtrice11, May 30, 2005.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I posted awhile back a question on how much to charge for edging, I didn't get too many responses and am still uncertain how much to charge. I have 12,486 linear feet to edge and the property hasn't been edged since the sod install. Anyone have any thoughts? I was thinking around 25 cents a foot.

2. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

how long ago was the sod install?

if you're looking at strips of grass that have to be removed that are 1-6" thick...maybe charge a little bit more. if its only going to take you an hour to edge/blow, don't necessarily charge that much.

3. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Sod install was about 9 years ago. I'm thinking its going to take 3 guys a full day or more to do the entire job.

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge hourly per man plus a charge for any equipment used.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Holy sh*t, that is almost 2 1/2 miles!!!. 25 cents is low IMO for a job even this big. We normally get 85 cents, though a job this size you will have to reconsider for sure.

6. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Sticker shock city. At 85 cents a foot, the cost would be better than ten grand. Whatever you tell this guy, make sure you have some nitroglycerin pills handy and a cell phone ready to dial 911.

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you checked it out to see just how much its overgrown and how easy it will cut and peel off. If its really bad, then you are probably pretty close cost wise.

8. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

.25 cents a foot comes out to $3121.50. Seems like a lot charge if it is going to take 3 men a day or even 2. If you charge that much and it takes 3 men 16 hours that is about $65 per man hour. I would estimate at the longest time you think it would take them and charge accordingly. Yet, if $65 per man hr. is the going rate in your area go for it. Down here we are extremely lucky if we get $30 per man hr. Normally it is closer to $20.

9. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

you're probably going to go througha couple blades too, 2.5 miles is a long way to edge. and removal fees, if you have strips of sod coming up, should be something to factor in as well. forgot to mention that.

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Are we talking about bed edging or edging like a sidewalk, driveway or a curb. Kinda makes a big difference. Bed edging is $0.75 per foot with clean up (raking dirt into bed).