edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jrlandscaping781, Feb 6, 2007.

1. jrlandscaping781

jrlandscaping781 LawnSite Member

What kind of edging do you guys use around plant beddings? I use the black plastic stuff, but was interested to know if there is something else that is just as easy to install yet maybe a little nicer (professional) looking. I've seen some yards with no edging that looks nice as well but I'm concerned about how much more maintenance is involved keeping the edge where the grass meets the mulch clean of weeds and looking good.

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

For organic mulches, the best edging is no edging at all, IMO.

Cut a 'V' trench at the bed edge, with the grass side of the 'V' being vertical, and the bed side being about a 45 degree angle to meet the vertical cut. The whole thing needs to be around 2-3 inches deep.

Grass encroaching on the beds isn't really a problem here, and shouldn't be in your area either- especially if the edge is cut and new mulch is applied yearly.

Now, if you are talking a rock mulch, then I'd use edging. Preferrably steel, as it's not terribly hard to work with (use either 1/8" or 3/16") and is easy to pound back down in the spring should it heave during the winter. Aluminum and plastic edging will both heave as well, and they are a PITA to get set back to the appropriate hieght.

3. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

A really classy way to do edges is a mowing strip in 8" wallstone laying on a bed of brick sand, with the ends cut to fit. It looks slick as grease when finished, a real classical look that you can charge a few bucks more for than the plastic stuff, which everyone seems to have but not like.

4. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Cobble pavers sideways with black 4 mil plastic under to keep weeds from coming up.

5. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have any pictures of this technique. it sounds great.

6. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second D Felix on the no edging at all for organic mulches, but if you have a situation that requires edging, natural or man made stone products add a very classy look. For stone separation, paver type or steel edging creates a clean line.

Maintaining a spade edge is simple and if done regularly leaves a very clean separation between garden and turf. Typically the edge only needs to be maintained when mulching the beds, unless you are in a climate that supports very aggressive turf grasses, like St Augustine. The rolls of black plastic edging have the look of a homeowner installation. It's very difficult to keep it straight and in the ground in areas prone to freezing. Steel or aluminum edging does a better job in these areas, but still adds an additional artificial element to a landscape. Bricks, cobbles or manufactured edging material made to emulate these items is much more natural and gives a clean separation look.

Kirk

7. leaflandscape

It's really nice, but the only pic's I have are hard copies. I'll see if I can post them soon. I swear it's the best way to edge, and it gives a very classy look to any project.

8. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

At least 90% of our beds get plastic edging, Valley View Black Diamond. Never use the rolled stuff. A few jobs get steel edging which is my favorite for a crisp clean looking edge.

9. leaflandscape

Have you tried the aluminum edging by edgepro? It's not cheap, but it looks really nice. It defines a crisp edge, and you only see it from inside the garden.

10. Green Side Lawn Care

Green Side Lawn Care LawnSite Member

where is the best place or who sells the metal edging?