1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danlawnser, Jul 21, 2001.

1. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys edge beds with stick edgers or do you use just a weedeater? I have a walkbehind edger for driveways and sidewalks that I use to break an edge than I mainly can use the weedeater. I have been just using a weedeater to break edges on beds. I just was curious to hear what u mainly use that does the best to break an edge on flower beds. Thanks
  2. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

We never used to edge beds weekly when we cut. Then recently we did one on a customers request, it made it look much nicer then that 3" fescue hangin in the bed. It took a good bit of time considering she has many many beds. I think we will have to up the price of the account if this is to become a continual thing here the original qoute was for the lawn not bed maintenance.
  3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the weedeater and do it weekly or biweekly depending on how fast the grass is growing. I cut the edges on concrete walks & drives w/ a blade edger and keep them maintained w/ the weedeater weekly. Asphalt drives always get done w/ the weedeater weekly also. ;) ED
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I always edge the sidewalks each week with my curved shaft trimmer. The beds I usually edge every week, but sometimes the edge doesn't need it so I just kinda pass it off 'til next week. I'm planning on getting an edger next year so I should have th best edges in town, wait, I already do, only because I'm the only one in town that does edging, go figure. I think edging attracts new customers. The clean, manicured look wins over the shaggy look. ;)
  5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

trimmer here too
  6. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I edge all concrete surfaces with a stick edger. I edge beds with a string trimmer. Most of my properties get redefined with my bededger at the beginning of the mowing season, and the string keeps it looking pretty crisp the remainder of the year. All concrete surfaces get cut in twice per year with a walk behind edger.
    Take care, Bill Craig:cool:
  7. GrassChopper

GrassChopper LawnSite Member

Wow, I edge all driveways, sidewalks and beds with my stick edger every week. I also use the stick edger around trees and water meter covers or any other area where the grass breaks. I am pretty sure all the other LCOs around here do the same. It may be because we deal with mainly St. Augustine grass.
  8. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I break in sidewalks with stick and maintain with stick. I do new bed edges with edging machine and do two passes with string one vertical then one horizontal. Driveways with rounded edges get string trimmed.
  9. script

script LawnSite Member

I use stick edger on all walks and driveways, and string trimmer on all beds every week.
  10. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

We define all edges with stick edger a couple
    times a season if needed and maintain them wkly. with string trimmers & that handy dandy Edgit Gadget