Edging?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mike84, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Mike84

Mike84 LawnSite Member

Im new to this business well 2 months into it now but I still dont know what edging is all about. I offer trimming mowing and blowing but not edging some of my customers have asked for it but I say I just dont do it. Can someone please tell me whats the point of edging a lawn. Like a residential property cus i just dont get it. Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Mike

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Edging referrs to using a walkbehind or stick edger where the concrete sidewalk and curbs meet the grass.

Makes a nice vertical edge as apposed to a angled one that a string trimmer can do.

3. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

Just use your string trimmer. Turn it so the twine is spinning straight up, and run along the curb. After a few times of doing it, you'll get the hang of it, plus it beats spending $200+ for a machine designed for only going along curbs. If the edge looks really really bad, go out and rent a curb edger, I don't suggest buying anything until you're absolutely sure that you can pay it off (something like an edger, I'd wanna have it paid off in no more than 2 weeks)

Chris

4. bville_mower

bville_mower LawnSite Member

I hesitate to mow without edging and trimming. It's like getting a haircut and not getting above your ears trimmed and your neckline. I think anyone can mow but not just anyone can trim and edge to "clean up" a yard.

5. bville_mower

bville_mower LawnSite Member

Oh and I suggest a stick edger. It's too easy to screw something up with a line trimmer.

6. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

Once you get a stick edger you will never go back to using a string trimmer. It looks better and is much easier. It may cost a little more but is well worth it.

7. cutandblow

cutandblow LawnSite Member

Man o man...this guy I'm working for carries around a nice shindaiwa edger and rarely ever takes it off the trailer. Drives me crazy. Today it was just me and his number 2 guy so I of course put that baby to work. I cant stand to see a string trimmer used to edge walkways/driveways. If it's a really small one and you're in a hurry, sure...but the stick makes a world of difference.

8. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought you guys offered in your $25 service - lawn mow, grass trimm, blow, edging..