Edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rlc321, Aug 18, 2004.

1. rlc321

rlc321 LawnSite Member

Hi I need some help with a edging job a costumer wants me to give him a price on. It is a island in the middle of the street as you come into the community. There is a street curb there now the problem is that the landscaping is higher than the curb and every time it rains the mulch washes out. He wants some type of plastic or metal edging to keep the mulch in. He would like it to stick up 3 or 4 inches above the curb what would be a good edging for this application that would hold up. Thanks Ron

2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

By no means do I have any expertise...just an opinon. If this is a commumity area with lots of traffic that goes by, I would definetly go with metal edging. It will last longer, look better, and do a better job of keeping in the mulch. Maybe someone around there would know of a good supplier for him?

3. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

You could use metal edging but you also could til a few passes around the entire island and grade it to look like it should....more work...and how it shoulda been done in the first place.

Then mulch it....more money if they are willing to pay to make it look nice without using metal edging.

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I have yet to see metal edging that is taller than 4", so metal may be out. Though someone on this board mentioned a while back that they were having edging cut for them at a metal shop, it was 8" tall....

Consider using 9x9 pavers, stood on edge. Set and back them with concrete. It would be similiar to a "stand-up" edge on a paver job.

Though I would have to agree with gml9's recommendation. Without seeing the site, I'd have to say I'd try that approach first. The edging is just a band-aid, you really just need to fix the problem.

Dan

5. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

I would not use edgeing material

I would edge it by hand and charge 1.50 per ft.

Looks better and is easy to maintain

6. rockandroller

rockandroller LawnSite Member

I agree w/ coffeecraver. I think any fabricated edging looks worse than natural edging. Plus I hate working with that stuff. I would rather dig out an edge anyday!:cool: