Edging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zinkjo, Jan 22, 2005.

1. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

What do you guys use for edging driveways/walkways,etc?
    What do you use for edging beds?

2. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

for edging driveways and sidewalks you would use a push style or a stick edger available at you local home center or at a dealer. I use a echo and I love it and would reccomend the brand to you. For edging beds most use a "bed edger" that you could rent at a home depot or lowes and buy at a equitment dealer. good luck with your edging!

3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Zinkjo, welcome to the site! To answer your question best you would be better off to try the search feature. This topic has been discussed many times and there are hundreds of posts about it. A lot of people use different types of machines to edge but most you will find use a trimmer or edger for around driveways/walkways. For edging beds you can also use a trimmer on existing edges and you might want to try a bed edger for new edges. Once again.. you will find numerous information and posts if you try a search on this.

4. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

I use my Shin trimmer on walkwys, sidewalks and most any hard surface edging. I also use it on existing beds that just need the edges re-defined. However, you will need to get somthing with a blade if you are going to be cutting a new edge on a bed or if it has a lot of growth. Good luck.

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I use a shindaiwa stick edger for the initial edge, and maintain it with the string trimmer.

6. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I do to. Also, look into the edgit. I bought one and like it a lot.

7. Horizon Landscape Mg

Horizon Landscape Mg LawnSite Member

I post this warning for people about edging with a line trimmer. We use Shidawia stick edgers for everything here in FL. One of my employees was weedeating a yard one time and as he often did, edged a small portion of the bed that was missed by the stick edger. He caught a piece of mulch with it and slung it 1/2 way through his saftey glasses!! Missed hitting his eye by a fraction of an inch! Debris flys off the end of a line trimmer at over 125 MPH!! I have friends that are ER docters that tell me they are always seeing landscapers in the ER that have either eye damage or loss of eyes because of similar incidents. Be smart. Use the proper tool for the job, and stay safe!

Sorry, I will get off my soap box now....hehe

8. walshdevo10

walshdevo10 LawnSite Member

I agree with the potential danger of personal injury using line trimmers to edge with, not to mention taking out customers windows with flying debris. Just switch hands on the stick edger, walk on the outside of the bed counter-clockwise and you get the same angled look with perfect edges.

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto. :)

10. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I use an Edgit on my Stihl 110. I really like it and thought and have posted here that it made more sense to use a string trimming w/Edgit compared to a stick edger for solo guys. But I have been using the stick a lot more this spring and agree with those that the stick edge just looks better. That being said, the Edgit still makes a string trimmer 10 times better with it than w/o, if you are going to use it to edge. You can really edge quickly with it, much more so than a stick. And you save even more time by not having to go back to the truck for another tool.
    But, for edge quality, a stick edger is better.....