1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

edgit for echo trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brianslawncare, Jan 29, 2011.

1. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

does anyone know if this works? it says you can edge a sidewalk as fast as you can walk? im looking to buy a edger come spring,any was wondering if this is worth it? im looking to edge sidewalks and mulch beds. thanks:dancing:
  2. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

I bought an Edge-it for my Stihl and LOVE it. Where you can really fly is along curbs, sidewalks and drives - just hook it over the edge and go. I have had at least a dozen lawn guys stop and ask about it - because they see me using it and they see the results.
  3. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

how does it work? do you still use the trimmer line? once it is on the trimmer can you still use it as a trimmer? or is it just for edging? thanks
  4. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

Have edigits on 2 of my 3 echo trimmers .They work really well and help give you lazer sharp lines.My wife and I really like how they also protect you from alot of the flying debris.The only down side is they don't allow you to get into tight corners due to the disc gets in the way.This is not a major problem in my opinion .The ease of use while edging makes up for its short comings.When you first put it on the trimmer it feels awkward for a while .Give it time, you will figure out shortly how beneficial they are and how productive you can become.I feel they make edging kind of idiot proof .
  5. LawnEnforcement25

LawnEnforcement25 LawnSite Member

looks like a bit of a hassle to me. why not just get a stick edger and be done with it? i know time is money but it takes me an average of 4 minutes to edge a driveway and sidewalk. thats if it is just being maintained and not redefined. an edger is less likely to stray off and gouge the grass ruining your straight line bordering the pavement and its quicker. i just dont see the reason for cutting corners and using a trimmer to attempt these jobs.
  6. fatboynormmie

You install it on the trimmer and it stays there.You can use the trimmer with the edgit installed for everything trimming and edging.Should have clarified from my last post while (trimming) with unit sometimes tight corners are unable to be trimmed due to disc.I usually reach down an snag the little spot it won't get with my fingers.Not a big deal really.While edging I rest the disc on the ground and only really have to hold the weight of the trimmer with one hand.This saves my your back .I also use it for tight area grass cutting .These are areas my big mower can't get into.You spool the motor on the trimmer up and it creates alot of suction pulling the grass upward like a mower does and then you just wack the grass down.The edgit helps you keep the trimmer level with the ground easier as well.
  7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yup, just sold you one so now you have three!!

you got my pm right?
  8. fatboynormmie

I have an echo edger hanging on the trailer wall.I hasn't been off the trailer since we got the edgits.It's just easier having one tool do two different jobs and do them well. To each his own.You drop the disc beside the concrete and ride the edge of the concrete .Don't have to worry about having a steady hand just use the concrete like a rail.The disc rolls along the ground all awhile supporting some of the weight of the trimmer.Started out with one edgit for my trimmer and made the mistake of letting my wife use it once .That trimmer became HER trimmer so I had to buy myself another one.
  9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I love my Edgit. Any imperfections in the second pic are due to the fact that it was the first time I used it. Now I'm like a artist and his brush with that baby. :D

10. fatboynormmie

Hey grassman I did get your pm and the zip was right thanks .I am keeping that edgit as a backup.Just in case one of mine ever breaks.I can edge well with a trimmer with or without the edgit.I just find its easier with less concentration on keeping a straight line which I feel translates into more speed on my part.