1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Edgit -- holding it the right way!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Jul 2, 2006.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

THIS is how to edge with an Edgit on a trimmer. The pic explains it, just walk forward with the Edgit, "dragging" the Edgit to your side.

I've never seen this posted here, and even the Edgit website shows the Edgit being "pushed forward" although the owner of Edgit recommends "dragging" it to your side!

When I switch to trimming with it, I give it a quick flip to hold it with my RIGHT hand on the throttle. You'll find using it with both hands is more ergonomic and less tiring.

I hope this helps anyone who's interested in an Edgit!

edgit-holding.jpg

2. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Each of my employees uses the Edgit differently. All of them use it in a way that is most comfortable for them, therefore most effecient.

In any event, it is a tool that works out great for our outfit, we are very pleased with the edge, no matter how its held.

This guy pushes it foward...

Robbie walking foward edgit.jpg

3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

this guy drags it...

Daniel pulling edgit.jpg

4. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

But see, that looks awfully uncomfortable holding it that high. Of course, to each his own.

5. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Amen brother!

:waving:

6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

James, did you kill whatever it was that was attacking your worker in the second picture??? :D

Thanks for the pics guys, I've been debating getting one, I'd most likely use it like the first picture shows, thats how I edge now with the string trimmer.

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I will try to get a picture of mine on later today, I put a J handle on my trimmer and hold it sideways and down low kinda like the 1st picture. I was skeptical till I got an edgit, but I couldnt do with out it now. I think it reall excells on flower beds and such

wayn e

8. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

So you would need two trimmers one with the edgit and one without?

I'm asking cause I don't see how that thing would trim along wooden fences or at least wher the posts are.

I do see how handy it would be for beds though I've held my trimmer in some of those ackward positons and don't like trimming beds at all.

9. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

I was always skeptical of the edgit so we bought one to just give it a try. I absolutely love it. We don't use it for edging walks, myself nor my guys can truly get a nice square edge most of the time. However its the absolutely best thing for garden bed edges I have ever used.

The only things I don't like is the vacuum it creates pulling it down, hard to get into tight corners, and after trimming huge apartment complexes it can get heavy.

Very nice addition, I wish they made one for Husqavarna!

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I keep the string out to the edge of the edgit and it trims ok

wayne