editing your post

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by k911lowe, May 15, 2008.

1. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

i know this is a dumb question.i could not find a way t edit my post after i posted it.am i missing somethin?thanks for your help.

never mind.i found it.there just doesn't seem to be an edit in all the categories.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You can edit your post up to 10 minutes I believe.

3. k911lowe

why is there a time limit.

4. 1MajorTom

Well because 10 minutes is really enough to review your post to see if there is a mistake that needs to be changed.
    Every once in a while a thread can go bad, members can start to bicker, and if there were no time limit on editing, a member could go back and change his words in the heat of an argument. It's just better this way, once it's typed, it stays.

5. k911lowe

so what.what does it matter if they alter a post later.it certainly doesn't use up any more bandwidth.if you are using them for some sort of argument confirmation that sounds a little CS..some of us are at an age where it takes longer than 10 minutes to realize a clerical mistake.i just do not,other than negative,see any legit reason for it.just my opinion

6. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

we also have a "Preview Post" button and a "Spell Check" button where you can look over your post before you submit it so, as was already stated, 10 minutes is plenty of time to edit

7. 1MajorTom

Well because this is a moderated board. Meaning, it's moderated to make sure things don't get out of hand. There are many many posts to review and read. And a moderator shouldn't have to go back to a post that he/she already read, and have to check it again to see if it was later edited. That would be even more time consuming.

It's sorta like when you mail a letter that you typed into the mailbox. Once you drop it in the mailbox, it's gone, you can't get it back to fix a mistake.

8. k911lowe

sounds just like the post office.

9. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

These are the rules we go by.
    At least we have 10 minutes. In a face to face conversation once our words are spoken they are out there and it is too late. We just need to be careful what we say. If we keep our post from getting personal there should not be a problem. Any other mistakes can be clarified by a corrected post.