1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

educating customers [pesticides]

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Oct 22, 2010.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

2. LawnoftheMonth

LawnoftheMonth LawnSite Senior Member

Some good information, thanks for sharing. I wouldn't leave the whole article as a hand out, but edit it down to the key points to make it easier to read and digest. Thumbs Up
  3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

I have been using the medication speach to my customers and the like for years as it always was easier to use that concept.

good article larry, thanks for sharing.

I too am a conservative with chemicals, using only what i have to when i have to . i always give disease and insect damage much consideration of the environment etc to determine whether or not a treatment is the best approach and things like that.
  4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I will only get on my soapbox for a minute

There was a wonderful substance discovered in the early 1900's, it was a great insulator, it kept areas cool on engines parts so you could run fuel lines in hot areas without catching on fire, excellent if you are flying at 25,000 feet. It was so good as an insulator that it was soon used in almost every instance to "insulate" things. The company that invented it became a huge behemoth it was so successful
    in the late 60's and early 70's doctors started noticing the ravaged lungs of people that had worked around asbestos and began to inform the public that this stuff was not a good idea, it took many years to get peoples attention and to remove the product from being produced

We are at the same point with pesticides now and companies like BASF have it in their best interest for you to think that they would not hurt you with their products

Many of these products are endocrine disrupters that directly effect the hormonal system within plants and insects, the companies would lead you to believe that their products do not cross over to vertibrates like us

six legged frogs and other mutations are becoming a common occurance in the farming belt, unisex fish are now common across the US, not just the potomac river

WR Grace is still in litigation 40 years later

off soap box
  5. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You know goff, with the schtick and bawl you putt in da whole.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. grassman177

8. grassman177

I agree with barry, but also, the very cautious use of them is very important. I hope to keep going the route that at least they are getting supposedly less harmful.

I try very hard to use the least toxic products i can , to what degree it has made a difference i dont know. any thoughts on that practice and its merit
  9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I think you are referring to ICT Bill. I did not post a reply to this thread until now.

Your approach is a wise one.

All I have to say about the article by the BASF technician is that statements contained in the article do more harm to the credibility our industry than many of us would like to believe.

Pesticides do have many benefits, but they are highly regulated because science has shown that they do have detrimental effects to health and the environment. Comparing soap to pesticides is misleading in the extreme.

Before registering a new pesticide – or a new use for a registered pesticide – the EPA must first assure the public that the pesticide is considered safe, when used according to label directions.

I would be very interested in seeing an EPA document that supports this claim.
    Do the signal words, CAUTION, WARNING, DANGER refer to safe products???
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I only need them to be educated in the respect of paying the bill when it is due,
    on time, and in full, no excuses.

And I realize that's a tall order but it's not much taller than this one and
    if that's all I get, I'm happy.