Educating your customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Apr 22, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

How many of us educate our customers? Educate them on certain points that effect them like, different grasses, how different mowers will effect their lawns, what equipment we use, what the differences are etc. I honestly try to but some are not interested or some just don't get it. I gave an estimate to a couple and actually sat down with them (which I do now with everyone!) and they told me they no idea what to look for in a lawn care service. I told them the usual things that we already know. And they really looked at me is a true professional in our industry. They told me they had absolutly no idea there was different equipment,(commercial vs homeowner models) different types of grasses etc. I educated them as far as a "Professional" lawn services and the "non professional" companies out there and to be carefull who you choose. Some may be harder to reach than others but non the less, I think everyone I have sat down with has come away with a little more knowledge. And I'm not saying I have got all of the accounts but at least I feel that they know they can entrust me with their property.

2. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I usually educate on a lot of simple things, grass lengths, times of year to aeratre, fertizlize, oversead. Things like that.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you cannot educate someone who doesn't want to learn. the education is simple: this is what I'M GOING TO DO......" and, "this is a bill, pay it, on time, and we won't have a problem."

4. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

This is a good idea, and customer education can lead to alot of postive things. (loyalty, respect, customer referrals) That being said, some people just seem that they are impossible to explain things to.

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Yes I agree bobby, there are some people that could give a crap less on what you have to say. But I try to still take the time to briefly go over a couple things. I had a lady over the winter ask us about plowing so I went over sat down with her and started to explain things and she just said I don't really care just have it plowed for me when i leave for work! When she was done interrupting me I said thank you Mrs. ^%$# but no thanks!

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I guess an education can't hurt. Most of my customers already went to college...they just want someone to cut the grass...

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Thats most of the problem. You can try, but most times its not worth your trouble.

8. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

9. mole

mole LawnSite Member

I try to educate them on leaving the grass clippings on the lawn. Not to bag all the time. I even show the articles on this but they still don't care they just don't want grass on there dogs feet. They tell me i'm just being lazy and i don't want to put it into my truck. So that's why i charge the dumping fees at the end of the month. That's an extra 300.00 for me plus there bill. 10x30. So don't listen and pay the bill.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea, i recently went on a 30 minute rant with a new customer on the benefits of cutting at 3+ inches, and returning the clippings. i even showed pictures of lawns in mid augest that were bagged, and lawns that were mulched, all on the same block, the mulched ones were noticably healthier and held up to the fierce heat and humidity, and the bagged ones looked less healthy. all recieving the same fert program, all having the same soil and exposure. after all that, i recieved this phonecall, "hi bob , this is mr. jones, my neighbor (a lady who is a nurse) told me the grass should be cut as short as possible, and bagged. please do it that way from now on." i will never again speak on deaf ears. from now on, it's simply, "THIS IS THE WAY IT'S GOING TO BE, PERIOD!" no explanations, no education