Education, business and Night school!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robert payer, Sep 3, 2002.

1. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Signed up for night school. Classes started last week. So far so good. At age 32 and being in the business for 13 years now, I thought to take some business classes at the local community college. Might even work toward a degree. Taking it one step at a time, I look forward to training my self to juggle both the business and classes successfully.

Cost is reasonable, If classes seem interesting, try it!

Hope that this conversation will be read by others who have had the desire to learn and think they lack time. Even if this conversation encourages some to make more trips to the library for books on any subject.

Does anyone else here take classes or research frequently on their own, Care to share their experiences with both work and learning? Tips?

I am sure that in some way *LawnSite* has helped me in making this personal choice.

2. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

I have taken night and early morning classes for the last few years. I now have enough hours for a AAS in "Quality Management". I enjoyed the classes and it helped time pass in the winter when things where slow. I am now considering transfering my credits to a 4 year school 35 miles from here. They have a nice Landscape and Turf Management program I am interested in. I have been working in the industry for 9 years and figure it is about time I try to advance my knowledge in the field.

I have gotten frustrated at times and often get discouraged. Nice to know someone else is doing the same thing.

3. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

I just got some information on some business courses at the local CC. They have alot of short classes that I'm going to be taking. Most are only 2-8hrs long costing from free to $40. Don't have the time to be taking full quarter classes this time of year but, I figure some education for running a business is better than none.

Good luck...

4. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

robert...

Very cool. Never too young or too old to learn more. Business owners sometimes get a one track mind and it is always refreshing to sit in a formal learning environment to open you up to new ideas, approaches, schools of thought, etc...

I know it is not always feasable, but if you can, try and diversify your class schedule. Take a class completely unrelated to your business just to make your brain work a different way.

Best of luck.

5. I did the CTP last winter and looking at the Ornamentals cert. for this winter. I prefer the work at my own pace of these courses, although I do miss the classroom discusion. I think I'll save language courses for classroom, I see that I'll need a teacher to get anywhere with them.
    For variety I like the teaching companys lectures on tape, I listen at end of each work day. Check them out.
    www.teachco.com
    I've bought a few, $ add up quick, but I can also check out at library.
    Verbal advantage also makes a good tape program you can do a little each day while working/driving.

6. ProCut

ProCut Guest

Sounds good Robert
    Never too old. My wife is working on her masters now at age 40. I research and read constantly about this business and business practices in general but there is nothing like the classroom. Some day soon Im going to look into some classes locally.

7. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Im 19 going to school and running my business. Right now going to a local community college that has a few big degree programs. May get a AS business degree from there, then go to a local tech school where ive hear they have a great landscaping program there and get a AS in Landscape Hort all this while working. Making money while learning. :cool:
    Matt (lawnman)

8. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Good Luck Robert.

I stopped taking classes at the local community college after my daughter was born two years ago. Now that she is two I started
    classes again (just last week). Actually I am only taking one per semester because I am so busy.

Full-time job
    Part-Time (Running my own lawn Service company)
    Time with Family, and friends, etc

It's tough but if i dont get that degree I will hate myself later in life.

My local college offers weekend and/or TV classes. I take the TV version where I tape the program and watch it...then I read the corresponding book chapters. Three times per semester there is a test given at the college (your choice of Sat. or Friday evening).

Works out pretty good. I am going for AA degree in business management.

Jim

9. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the great response to this thread! I enjoyed reading everyones thoughts. A guy at school who also runs a business suggested reading at home after class while in the school mind set. The evening has already been set a side for class why not complete other tasks that same night. This seemed like great advice. I have learned the last few years to listen more and talk less. Some times people offer great advice and we are to busy to listen. Your time spent on this thread has been read, thought about and appreciated.

Thanks Guys!
    Rob

10. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

Just remember also if you own a business, you can write any related classes off on your taxes!!!:D

Dave

:blob2: :blob2: