education in lawn care

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by touhey33, May 14, 2004.

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you have degrees in or related to lawn care, is it important to have a degree to start your own lawn care business, i will have a bachelors degree, but it is not related to the lawn care industry. Should i consider pursing an education in the field.

Tim's Lawn Care
  2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I am in the middle of obtaining my bachelor's degree in criminal justice. It come in handy when a client tries to tell me the law or the city ordinance. As far as getting a degree in agriculture or turf grass management, it would probably depend on if this is what you plan to do for the remainder of your life. I am going to law school after get my bachelor's degree but I will probably own my business until I die. I love it and want to expand. I do alot of research about the industry, I study plants and grasses, irrigation, water conservation, fertilization and soil in my spare time in order to be proficient and knowledgeable about what I am doing. I wouldn't say it is a must have to get a degree in this industry. I don't think it would hurt anything if you did though. Maybe think about making horticulture or agriculture your minor if you haven't already gotten that far into your degree plan yet.
  3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I think i am just going to take two or three classes at the local community college, so i have an understanding of what i am doing. I am going to business school come fall, so that will help in the business end of the work, but not really the knowledge part.

i dont think it would hurt anything
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you will learn more on lawnsite, and with hands on, than any school .
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Education is a great thing.................
    But,there is a big difference between knowledge and wisdom.
    Knowledge is just a bunch of facts................wisdom is knowing how to make use of those facts.That part can't be learned in classroom.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

very well put dv
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Very true DVM.

The best education you can get (negative and positive) is to go and work for someone else for a few months. First you will find out if you can hang before you buy equipment.

You will also get to try out some equipment brands and see if you like them. You get to burn the cr@p out of someone elses accounts while you learn to line trim.
    All kinds of things like why it is important to maintain equipment. Why you don't let the dumbest guy on the crew make the mix gas.

Think of it as free anti stupidity insurance with an education they are paying you for.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I think having a degree related to the Green Industry is extremely helpful. What may be even more helpful is having a degree in a business related field. Running a mower, doing installs, and landscaping vs. running a business is not exactly the need different skills.
  9. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said DV, just like in football, all the plays look pretty in the playbook, but you don't know what will work until your out on the field playing.

"Knowledge is knowing how to do something"

" Wisdom is knowing how to do it right, the first time "
  10. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

But then again, education is never a bad thing !