education plans for the future

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Nov 29, 2004.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Right now I am a Junior in High School and am trying to figure out what I want to major in at college. What are some degrees that other people have? I don't want a job where I sit at a desk most of the day. I like the idea of owning my own business even if its not landscaping. I have also looked into the fields of construction management and civil engineering. As far as comparing salary's what would be reasonable for a full time LCO to take home a year? What opportunities would a degree in business management have to offer me?

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Steve, The 2 most basic ones I can think of are #1 A degree in Horticulture and #2 Accounting or some form of Biz degree. I for one would love the chance to go back to school and learn more about this line of work. I would also like to have at least 1 degree and that would be in Horticulture.

One last thing if you are in this for the long run then go to college after HS. And earn your self a degree you can be proud of and that will make you a better LCO. Good luck.

Rob

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in college while mowing. I am pre-med and already have an associates degree in Biology...not sure how that helps the green industry!

4. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a degree in Horticulture. The most valuable classes I took obtaining this degree were plant I.D., landscape design and accounting.

5. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Joplin,
    It's called desire, that's what makes you good at something. Get your education in something you want to do or fall back on. This semester, I passed the 100 credit hour mark in Mechanical Engineering. It may take me another couple of years to get it, but I'll get it. Got busy raising a family and my education got put on the slow path. You and your parents should be proud of you and how you are conducting yourself. Good job and never quit pushing yourself.

6. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

I am not in the LCO buisness but I just finished up my degree in Mining Engineering. It is a very hands on oriented profession with little desk time in my case (everyone is diffrent). My salary is $72k a year out of college, company truck, expense account, benefits, and 401k matched to 6%.
    [​IMG]

7. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

I have a degree in Landscape Architecture which if you want to be in the business would be a very beneficial degree. It goes way be horticulture and into design. I went to Arizona State but I know Stanford, Texas AM, California Berkley and Rutgers have programs as well as others I am sure.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

one day i want to get my ged, so i too, can cut grass

9. BryantLandscape

BryantLandscape LawnSite Member

Bachelors in Management of Technical Operations from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and an associates in Aviation Maintenance from the Community College of the Air Force.....not sure how all this helps me in my landscaping/lawn care business, but I love what I'm doing....

10. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

8 classes till i have my undergrad marketing diploma. HAsn't tought me anyting about the business world. We all had to learn that ourselves.