1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vandora Lawn & Landscape, Nov 30, 2000.

1. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to get an idea of the years/levels of education of everyone. Have you gone to college? If yes, was it in a green related degree like horticulture? Also, any graduate degrees etc.

I myself am finishing high school but plan to get a business degree and maybe a horticulture masters.
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I myself have a G.E.D education. Self educated in field but have taken turf management courses, seminars and other helpful educational programs. I am enrolled in a landscape design course starting in 4 weeks that will give me a degree in landscape design and constuction.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Associate degree in Criminal Justice, pursuing Bachelor degree. Also am a certified Master Gardener.
  4. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Little addendum, how many chose this as a career and did not fall into it later in life?
  5. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

In college now. Working on degree in economics and business with a possible minor in turf related courses
  6. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I have a degree in Accounting. Currently working with a CPA firm and running the business. You decide which one I'd rather be doing (clue: It doesn't involve doing taxes) :)
  7. I am going to Rutgers for a week in Feb. 2001 for a course in Athletic Field Management. Very pricey vs. PSU courses.
    I have a relative in the area so I save the cost of a motel room or even worse trying to commute.

8. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

I have 46 years of education. I try to make sure I learn something new every day.
  9. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a B.S. in Criminal Justice. If I had only knew what I wanted to do with my life I would've gone for horticulture, but being young and dumb I went to college to please family. Although looking back it was worth it as I believe it has helped culture me and enable me to better communicate with my educated customers.

Now if I could only get the balls to stop working for the MAN I'd be all set. Actually...the plan is for this spring!

[Edited by Scraper on 12-01-2000 at 02:03 PM]
  10. Turf Cutters

Turf Cutters LawnSite Member

I have been to college for aviation technology and fire science. Still going to the school of hard knocks.