Education

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SCOTLAND YARD, May 3, 2004.

1. SCOTLAND YARD

SCOTLAND YARD LawnSite Member

Hello -
    I'm looking to find information on mowing and landscaping, I read every book I can find on the subjects. You can really learn alot from these, but most of the info. is simply exchanged from one book to another.
    Can anyone recommend any good info?
    From the basics on up! (From how to mow - to - How to become a multimillionaire in the green industry working 1 day a week and spending time with the family 6 days.)
    Thanks
    By the way I found a really good book EVERYONE SHOULD READ
    (DOING WORK YOU LOVE by Cheryl Gilman) Go buy this book.

2. Mark Lawncare

Mark Lawncare LawnSite Member

I don't think there are any books that teach you how to mow. Like alot of things in this buisiness you just have to learn it threw experiance.

3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I have figured out the 1 day of work, and 6 days with the family thing already....

The only problem is the 1 day lasts 144 hours, and the 6 days off are only 4 hours long each!:blob2:

Experience is key in the real world, that's my honest opinion. You can read and read, and study, and know a boat load of things, but without any experience, you're still a beginner.

I think the best thing you can do is a combination of both, so go ahead out there and start out small, or work for someone else, and get some experience under your belt. That way, you can combine the two (experience and book knowledge) and grow into a successful business.

Good luck with it

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You want a good book on mowing?

A friend of mine bought me a copy of this book. It sounds exactly like what you are looking for.

Here is a link to it at Amazon.

Picture Perfect

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Go work for a big company to see what to do and then work for a mom and pop company to see what not to do.

That what i did and it worked out good for me.