1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Educational Courses

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by doug1980, Mar 31, 2013.

1. doug1980

doug1980 LawnSite Senior Member

Thought I would share some great courses that I have taken, or will be taking eventually. All of these are online or correspondence courses that can be done in your spare time, if you have any.

Purdue University http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/urban/Urban_Info/courses.html

•Introduction To Urban And Industrial IPM
    •Food Plant IPM
    •Turfgrass IPM
    •IPM in Public Buildings and Landscapes
    •Termites and Other Wood-Destroying Pests IPM
    •Advanced Urban/Industrial IPM
    •Invasive Borers IPM
    •National Wildlife Control IPM

University of Georgia http://www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/ppd/courses/turfgrass-management/principles-turfgrass-management

•Principles of Turfgrass Management
    •Sports Turfgrass Management

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

They don't talk about soils do they??? no indication from the titles that they're considering the 'whole plant'(roots, stems and leaves) just on the IPM strategies vs. blanket strategies... its all window dressing in the educational system now days...
    I always get a lot of heat for saying this , but education quality is getting worse as the cost goes up...

What would be helpful to us, if you were able to share something of interest to our work in the field that makes sense... :)

3. doug1980

I'm taking the Principles of Turfgrass Management from Georgia and it is very thorough. Soils, Turfgrass Morphology, Growth & Physiology, and many other topics. Very good course, you are probably correct about the other ones though.

4. ch4x0r

ch4x0r LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Doug do you mind me asking the price of that course also the time length.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. doug1980

$379 for non-members
    $319 for members of PLANET or Veterans.
    It's 14 lessons and you have 1 year to complete it. Only has 2 proctored exams.

6. ch4x0r

ch4x0r LawnSite Senior Member

That doesn't sound bad at all. I'm from tn I'll ha e to check into that and see if chatt state offers anything similar .