1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Educational information

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jlcare, Jan 24, 2003.

1. jlcare

jlcare LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me of any books, websites or videos, etc. that I can get that will teach me how to do services other than just mow,blow and go. I am starting a new business this spring and would eventually like to offer tree pruning, fertilization, chemical applications,etc. I know I can't offer more than cutting,edging,blowing,aerating...basic services,until I learn how to do the bigger jobs. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
  2. ksimpson

ksimpson LawnSite Member

Does your state have a Nursery and Landscape Association? Indiana's is "INLA". They do have a web site. We have used them for educational purposes for our crews. Also call your local county extension agent. Another agency to call is the State's Chemist Office. They are a good source for chemical licensing. Hope this helps! Just want to say HI GUYS!. I have been a member since last fall but never have really responded to any forums. I have been in the "green Indusry" for 17 years. Started in the Golf end and now for the past 12 years in the property developement and property management end. This is a great website for information and forums. Take care---Keith
  3. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Posted a bunch of links but they didn't work.
    Get in touch with your County Extension Agent and sign up for the Master Gardner Program. I feel it is the best value available for local basic information.
  4. For training on fertilizing and all aspects of turf check out PLCAA.
    They have a course CTP that would help.
    They also have CLOP - landscape ornamentals training
    More on pruning & books by doing a search on this site, also check out www.arboristsite.com
    Since regulations for pesticide applications vary state to state check with your dept of agriculture, they should be able to direct you to the most useful info to prepare you to get your license.
  5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

6. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I also recommend the Certified Turfgrass Professional course through the PLCAA and The University of Georgia. Great course and tons of useful information. Best of luck.