Effect of compost extracts and teas on diseases

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ICT Bill, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

This is a paper I was reading out of Australia
    Nothing stunning just interesting facts, I did not know the romans used it

Effect of compost extracts and teas on diseases
    Sprays based on compost extracts have been used for hundreds of years. There is evidence that the Romans used compost teas and the ancient Egyptions used preparations based on compost or manure extracts as long as 4000 years ago, although, not surprisingly, there are no records of how these were made! (Cascadia Consulting Group, 2001). Interest in compost extracts and teas waned when pesticides became available in the 20th century, since pesticides tend to give better, more reliable control of most foliar diseases. However, the recent increase in sustainable and organic farming and problems relating to pesticide use has led to a massive resurgence in interest in compost extracts and teas. A considerable amount of work has been carried out to develop improved methods for preparation and use of compost extracts and teas. Most of this work has been done in the United States and much of it by commercial companies rather than federal research institutes.

2. greenskeeper44

greenskeeper44 LawnSite Senior Member

Bill,

I am starting an organic lawn program in Louisville, KY. The only products that are available to me are Nature Safe Fertilizers. They are very expensive and are not completely organic. I was looking at your 1-2-3 Compost Tea and I was wondering how you apply it. I know you spray it but there are three different bottles and I was not sure if you spray all of them in one spray or if they are three different treatments throughout the year. I am trying to develop an organic program and I am really interested in using your products. Id appreciate any help you can give me.

3. ICT Bill

greenskeeper44, Is this for sports turf or applications to residencial lawns, no difference just curious. Sports turf tends to have bigger toys than lawn companies

The 1-2-3 Instant Compost Tea is a kit of three components, #1 - dechlorinator, #2 Compost Tea, #3 Accelerator. If you are using a well you do not have to use #1, municipal water sources with chlorine it should always be used
    #2 is our compost tea this is the biology in the mix that are listed on the product label
    #3 we call accelerator, it is a nutrient mix of Fish, Kelp, Humate, Vitamin B, 11 micronutrients. It is meant to coat the microbes to wake them up from dormancy and give them food to expand in the soil. The nutrient mix will also provide some green up

You mix equal parts of #2 and #3, 1 ounce will treat 3000 sq ft. #1 is added one drop per gallon
    It can be applied with a backpack sprayer (takes a long time) all the way up to 3000 gallon hydro-seeders

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

greens, an organic program is a complex and well rounded set of practices and inputs/products. BILL's tea and others (NPP) have a real place in organic lawn care, they are just tools( the npp is the cats whiskers), there are many different aspects, testing, compost, nutrient recycling, irrigation control,,, stop me I am on a tangent, any ways, start slow read alot and get some NPP, THANKS BILL, ya saved my butt, again...don't know what this new lawn had, don't care, just know it was getting eaten by fungus at a staggering rate.

5. greenskeeper44

I appreciate the info. Bill it is for lawn care. I was currently doing all synthetic but I think there is a market that has been untapped in my area and I am starting to become a believer in organics. I went to Rutgers University for turf management and learned alot about organics because it was really popular up there in the Northeast. It hasn't made it too Kentucky yet (were always 10 years behind) but I want to learn more about it and bring it here. I would love any advice from anyone who is currently does all organic because I want to develop a program that works that people will want as an alternative to all the chem companies.

Treegal thanks for the info. What does your organic program consist of?

6. treegal1

pm me an email address and we can tell you all about it. its not that hard to duplicate.

mostly tea and compost...........

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Read the forum, more advice than you can shake a stick at.

8. greenskeeper44

9. ICT Bill

greenskeeper44
    One of the fun things about organic practices is that you don't have to tell anyone that it is organic if you do not want too

They just see great results and sign on for another year of "treatment" meanwhile your bottom line is increased and your out of pocket decreases

In the long run you will get so excited that you will tell everyone that you are using sustainable practices that are less toxic

By building the biology and fertile soil, if you DO have to pull a chemical it works much better, so you can use it in reduced rates

10. treegal1

greens it on its way