Effective Advertising

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by huntercook33, Oct 20, 2004.

1. huntercook33

huntercook33 LawnSite Member
    from Orando

I've fumbled around with 200 - 300 flyers, got maybe 2 calls. Theres got to be a better way to advertise... I was thinking about for $165 I can get two weeks in the paper under professional services. Have any of you done this, did it work well?

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Newspaper print ads here are $$$$. We did some direct mail(20K) this spring and got a good ROI.Check into local ordinances about posting flyers in or on potential clients doors. Mailboxes are the big no-no.Just make sure you are legal where you are doing the flyers...BTW-Around here, the "professional services" page is more like the "unlicensed, beer money,jobs under 1000.00" kind of directory..

3. huntercook33

from Orando

How much did it cost to have those all printed and spread around?

4. impactlandscaping

$ 45.00 per thousand. That included design, set up , and distribution. You have probably got similar items in your own mail..does the "Have you seen me?" missing child flier ring a bell? Our ad(5 1/4 x 8) went out on the back of that ad, which was then placed on top of the rest of the folded bulk mail:Wal Mart ad, Lowe's , Giant Eagle, etc...

5. huntercook33

from Orando

What would you look for to find these places, like what are they called, the places that distribute the flyers.

6. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

My add in the professional services section of our local paper ran me about $135.00 for a month. I picked up about $1500.00 worth of work out of it so it wasn't the greatest advertising but it helped. I've gotten a few calls lately from people who clipped it back during the summer and are calling for leaf cleanup, mulch, aeration etc.... now.

I'm going with direct mailing for the spring, as well as the old trusty flyers.

7. sglawn

sglawn LawnSite Member

I ran an ad in my paper under the service ads section and it ran me 155.00 and I got 4-5 customers off of it, which 2 have become my best customers!

8. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

We have weekly advertisement newspaper type distributions around here (thrifty nickle, trading post, advertiser, etc.) These are delivered to all residents in a three or four county area at no cost to the residents, these are strictly classified and retail/service advertisemnet publications. Often there will be Wal-Mart, Menards, etc. inserts, I have noticed people having flyers inserted as well for services such as putting business lettering as signage on vehicles and such. I don't know how effective these flyer inserts are but they do have a heckuva reach to potential customers, I intend to employ this as one part of an advertising campaign. I won't put these out until prior to next season but will post results when I do

:pumpkin:

G-P

9. stizostedion_vitreum

stizostedion_vitreum LawnSite Member
    from ND

DIRECT MARKETING!!!!!

First figure out who you are marketing too....this will make your advertising dollar worth it's weight in gold.

The more your can direct or specify your marketing the more effective it's going to be.

Most cities have a smaller newspaper which is a coupon based paper that you can specify which areas to distribute too. This is one means of directing your marketing.

good luck,
    tj

10. impactlandscaping

We targeted our direct mailings by zipcode as to demographics provided from a market assessment. They went to homes in the higher end subdivisions, with incomes of 95K and up.Direct Mail Marketing Systems is the co.