Effective Drill bit to use on Landscape Trailer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Eakern & Dog, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know what type of drill bit to use for a Landscape Trailer. I'm installing an equipment rack and have dulled two metal bits ( two Dewalts) tryin to get through the side rail. Is there a super-duper bit for trailer material or is this as goods as it gets ?

Also, I'm using a good corded Makita drill so it's not the drill.

Thanks

2. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

If you are drilling a hole larger than 1/4" and you are not using Dewalt "pilot bits" then you may have to drill smaller hole (1/4" or smaller) then drill againg with larger bit. Also you can apply a little oil to the bit while drilling to help cool it and not burn it up.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Start w/ a smaller bit & then work your way up to the size you want. I got a Drill Doctor for Christmas last year & this thing is great! I went through & sharpened all of my bits & couldn't believe how much sharper they were. Also, use some oil on the bit while you are drilling. I either use WD-40 or some oil in the little squirt can.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

HomeDepot has some Metal screws that have a drill head on the tips. We use those with a heavy duty drilll to put our plywood on the rear door. You also use them to tie 2x12" boards to the trailer frame on the open trailers. Go a trailer shop and they will probably sell you the screws.

5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I start everthing off with a 1/8" cobalt. The local bolt & bearing store has a box of 'em.

For normal steel, nothing beats a Uni-bit. They cut a nice round hole and leave a chamfer if you want to.
    Just make sure not to run 'em too fast, I keep my 18V cordless in low range and full throttle.

HD had a 3 piece set before Christmas for $50 Up to 1/2 with lots of short steps, up to 1/2 with 8? longer steps, and up to 7/8 with short steps.

When I was working at a Dodge dealer; there was a recall to add reinforcement brackets to the trailer hitch and frame. Six,1/2" holes to be drilled through the frame or hitch material.
    I cut my time in 1/3 by using a Uni-bit over regular drills. I was leaving spirals of cut steel on the floor while the rest of the guys were leaving silver shavings.

6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

oil oil oil oil oil oil oil ............................. low speed hi torque

7. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

there's the secret you've been looking for

Vermont American is a good brand

8. lubricity

lubricity LawnSite Member

Long live Chineeeesse Metalurgy

9. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah - no crap. A good grade of American Made drill bit is imperative. The hard steel grade drills that TSC carries are awesome for drilling through any metal except stainless steel (sorry - can't remember the brand).
    I had to drill a 5/8 hole thru some 1/4 inch steel A few days ago. I dreaded the thought - bought a new bit from TSC ($12). It went thru it clean and quick in about 20 seconds.

10. lubricity

lubricity LawnSite Member

Yes, you can't go to the "Tool Sale" and buy 5000 drills for $20 and expect them to drill anything other than Balsa Wood.