Effective Pre/Post emergent treatment

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by KTNC, May 14, 2006.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

As seems to be the general consensus this year the dandelions are thick as ever.. . In the past I've had reasonaby good luck with spot spraying, but would like to improve...

What is an effective, easily available Pre M and Post M? Ideally I'd like to spray a blanket application in the fall, and another (if needed) in the spring. I have a tractor supply store and Lesco available. Where do Trimec and Speedzone fit into the above?

Also can someone give me a ballpark price on those sprayers that fit into your walk behind spreaders?

2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Trimec or Speedzone should work great on Dandelions as a post M. Most Pre-M's are not going to do anything to control dandelions since they are a perennial. Gallery (expensive) is a pre emerge and should control new plants started from seed.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I will tell you this...regardless of what yo use, a blanket ap in the fall will make a SIGNIFICANT difference the next season.

4. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies... As far as for the blanket application, as anyone ever used one of those sprayers that fit in your walk behind spreaders? Price range..? I will be spraying about 2 acres.

Thanks

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I use dimension pre-e and momentum for post-e.

7. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

the drop in sprayer are $499 from Clark Gregson. Perma Green has a battery powered sprayer that mounts on the side of your spreader and it cost $399 and comes with the charger (extra with CG) I like the PG because you can spray and apply fert at the same time and its boom-less.

8. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Scout, identify hard to kill problem weeds.After the dog days of summer/coolseason grass dormantcy ,make sure you have a quality pre m in effect to prevent germination of common winter annual such as annual blue grass ,chickweed ,spurges and others.Now that you know what problem weeds that are giving you hell,you can you select a post weed control .amine 3-way with sticker 80 or below, 70 degree and below ester bases weed control .sound like lesco should have a trained pro to help a guy out ,dont know about the help at your tractor supply.fall is great time to knock down p.i.t.a hard to kill weeds.dont know all of your geographic specifics.:walking:

9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

GALLARY is an awsom product, however there are two major problems when it's used. 1, it's expensive, and 2, it works so good that people will drop your service because there are no more weeds (i use gallary in ALL my mulch beds 3 times per season mixed w/ pendum). as far as spraying goes do an app in the fall and spring. personaly i would not use speedzone, the main factor being the cost and the amount applied per K vs. using a trimec 992, triplet SP, or my favorit MEC-D.

10. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

Lesco sells great o-o-7 products for situations like this.

The 0-0-7 will carry something like .10%dimension or an equivelant with momentum.

Both are relatively inexpensive since there is no N-P.
    \
    This will be my first year trying them but I have heard good things from those that have used these products.