1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

effective prescreening methods/questions???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnywill08, Apr 24, 2007.

1. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

anyone have a good, short, efficient system of weeding out price shoppers/tire kickers?

i'm getting great response to my ads this year but i'm killing myself spending wasted time with the price shoppers....
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Since i'm the one that handles all phone calls, this is what i do. I first let them know that we cut every 7 days. Price shoppers a lot of times are trying to save their $$'s by asking for a 14 day cut. So i think this is the most important question i can ask them. if they say they only want it bi-monthly, i politely tell them that we aren't the company for them.
  3. F&SLawnCo

F&SLawnCo LawnSite Member

Same here, we go with weekly over the phone and back that out to bi-weekly only if the property requires it. I also open up by asking what they have in mind for their property. This gives me a pretty good picture right away. If they want a bi-weekly scalping I politlely pass or bid the job about double the norm. I actually try not to do that very often just because I don't want my name on a crap yard.