Effective Yellow pages advertising.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by General Landscaping, May 18, 2006.

1. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to give the Yellow pages a shot.

I'll have 2 full color spots that are a little shorter and wider than a business card.
    (1) in landscaping contractor
    (1) in lawn maintenance
    (1) text only (in my own heading) under landscape curbing.

What are some things to keep in mind when putting together the content for these spots?
    It's not a whole lot of room but it will stand out some since most others trade no color or 1 color for a little larger spot or just go with a bold listing.

What kind of things make people start dialing when they get to an ad?

I'm thinking that a lot of stuff that pertains to flyers won't apply here because with a flyer, you have to give them a reason to call. With a YP ad, they already have a reason to call, you just have to make sure your'e one of the ones that gets called.

I'd like to weed out the lowball callers.... so I'm not burning any space on "affordability"
  2. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure your advertisement is the same size as the people you are competing with. i.e. if everyone else is in column go in column. If the other guys use a business card size go with that, etc.
  3. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

I used to sell YP advertising and it all boils down to getting your ad noticed. Think of your ad as a resume for your company, highlight your companies profit centers. Make sure you have a "call to action" in your ad like "call us first", "call today" etc. (it sounds dumb but it works). To minimize price shoppers create an ad that appeals to the eye of your target audience not to price.

A very important thing about yellow pages is that it's only designed to get your phone to ring, which means you MUST answer the phone! Your competitors are listed there too, if you dont answer the phone your potential customer calls the next name on the list.

YP shoppers only look at less than 4 ads before making a call, and make a buying decision in 1-3 calls.

sorry a little long winded, good luck

4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

cochino: That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for, thanks

fulano: What is the reasoning behind using the same format & size as everyone else?

FWIW.... My company starts with "B"

ENDURO LawnSite Member

I posted an add this year and there are a number of things I would advise. #1 Get a 1-800 toll free number 1st. Tell the phone company its just for personal use as they are cheap and the beauty is, it is always forwarded to a number of your choice. The true business 1-800 ones can be more expensive, but you don't need one as you would only be receiving at most a few calls a day. This gives you the power to change where this number rings. You may move, get a new cell phone, buy a 2nd phone line, sell your business, hire a phone answering service, etc. This is crucial b/c once the add runs, you can't change that #, ever. Some people keep phone books for years. #2Don't put things in the add that you are not positive you want to do. I put powerwashing in mine and then decided I hated it. Now I get calls all the time for powerwashing. Make your add look professional even if you have to pay extra to have someone design it. There is no sense paying for an add that doesn't work.
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use only 1 ad & used the saved $$ to make the 1 ad Bigger .....

If possible look at the last few years of YP (library) look at what others have used n look at it from the perspective if you are the shopper ..... which would you have called

Also how much is that in your area ..... over this way that's $2400 fore the year .... per ad
  7. fulano

If everyone else in column and you have a small display ad the consumer may miss your expensive ad. You could have went in column with a bold or colored or 3 line ad or something for a lot cheaper.
    If there are a few 1/4 page ads and you are big enough to support the ad then go 1/4 page. It can't hurt if you can afford it.
  8. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the logic there?

OH yeah never advertise that you are listed in the yellow pages because if a perspective customer looks, they also see your competition.
  9. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Just my 2 cents, but I would save your money and just put in a one line ad with your business name. Put ads in newspapers and community publication that target the area your trying to sell to. Get a good website up and running and put your web address on business cards and your trucks. I have used alot of different advestising method in the past and feel that the $244.00 per month I spend for a 1/4 page ad in the YP is a waste of money. I feel fewer and fewer are reaching for the YP these days, unless they are looking to boost their child up to the dinner table. Good luck
  10. fulano

There is no reason to go bigger and waste more money if everyone is the same size. If your ad is the same size the person calling will probably call both ads. Especially if both ads are on the same page.