Effectiveness Of Fliers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by WalkerMan9669, Mar 22, 2005.

1. WalkerMan9669

WalkerMan9669 LawnSite Member

Ive new in the business, and im having trouble acquireing accounts. Ive tried the flier route and its just not producing the results i had hoped it would. If some of you could provide me with some ideas on how i could obtain better results, please respond.
    Durrett Landscaping
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The response rate varies from 1 to 5% give or take a little so for every 100 you put out you may get 1 inquiry from it. That is not saying that you will get the job.
    I have found that flyers have to be simple, bold and not very complicated. I use heavy cardstock and don't use a full 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. Too much info. Make a website and reference that on your flyer to direct people to it. Then fill your website with what you do.
    The key to flyers is volume along with name recognition. Use the same font in your flyer as in your lettering for trailers and on your website. Something unique, you recognize the Golden Arches without any mention of McDonalds. Or the pink Cadillac is Mary Kay Cosmetics.

You also want your name in other outlets like church bulletins, grocery stores, senior centers, newspaper ads, sponsor flyers like at community events. The more they see your name the more recognition there is. Flyers are one part of successful marketing strategy. Good Luck.
  3. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

walkerman, could you give a little more detail about your flyering campaign? if you flyered cars in parking lots, you'll rarely get customers. if you flyered targeted neighborhoods, maybe it was the flyer itself. what i'm saying is, is that anyone's experiences are relative to their targets and implementation.

do you have the flyer you could post, as well as other detail on the distribution?
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yes...definitely the method of delivery is going to play a major role in response rate. Other factors will be demographics, the flyer itself and timing. If you like to read, get some books on the subject. If you don't have time to read or don't care to read, try the library for cassette tapes. I recently had to go to a funeral out of state, about a 5 hour drive each way. I found a 6 cassette package on direct mailing at my local library. It was great, I learned a lot and it put everyone else in the car to sleep...lol. I also checked out an 8 piece cassette tape package on "selling your services"....it was interesting also, but didn't have time to finish it. Buy the book called "Guerrilla Marketing"....it's a must have for ideas for all forms of advertising.

Good luck
  5. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

Fliers are how newbies get started. Don't get offended I did it too. The problem is they just don't work very well if the recipients don't recognize your name, that is they haven't seen you working in the neighborhood. The calls that do come in to those newbies tend to be price shoppers. My advice to you, and don't anyone hurt me, if you are brand new put out fliers advertising spring cleanup or aeration and lowball the price. Try to turn those one time lowball jobs into profitable weekly maintenance accounts after they have a chance to see your work. If you are already established spend your advertising dollar on some nice lettering on your truck. One guy around here has a mailbox attached to his truck with fliers inside. I guess people help themselves instead of him plastering doors.