Effectiveness of HydroSeeding??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by merrimacmill, Mar 26, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

This is a question about my own personal lawn. Its kind of crappy to say the least. Its very rough, got some good patches and a few bad. Got a couple different grass species, and got a whole side yard of crab grass. So I'm thinking about having a guy I know who does hydroseeding tear up the whole yard, put down new loam, and hydroseed it and just start over.

My question is this, how perfect of a lawn can you get with hydroseeding? I've seen a couple commercial places get hydro seeded, and the lawn looks like crap now (2 years later) and always has looked awful. My lawn is not very large, but seems to be to big for sodding to be a cost effective option.

How long till I can mow if I were to do this to my lawn? And what are the professional opinions of the guys who hydro seed on here? From what I've seen I can expect to pay around 4 dollars a square foot for the whole deal..

2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

4 bucks for the hydroseeding? or does that include the strip/removal of the old stuff and putting down the new loam? Almost sounds cheaper to sod it yourself, especially if you are risking poor results.

3. merrimacmill

Well he gave a quote to someone I know for $800 dollars for 3,200 square feet. So I'd think thats 4 dollars a square foot. But am I risking a bad outcome by hyrdoseeding?

4. bmjones17

bmjones17 LawnSite Member

but is that quote just on the hydroseeding? $4 bucks a sq. ft.??

5. merrimacmill

Sorry forgot to add that answer in there, no its to rock hound, grade, finish rake, and hyrdoseed the yard.

6. bmjones17

bmjones17 LawnSite Member

I'd say that is an okay price....a little steep for where I'm from but not outrageous by any means

7. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that doesn't sound all too bad @ $4, but if you have the time thats a boatload more money you can sink into your lawn by doing it yourself.

8. merrimacmill

Alright, but how do you guys think the quality of the lawn will compare to say, a sod lawn? I would like to have a real nice lawn and its just not going to happen with the current conditions of the soil and such at my house.

My house was a new construction a few years ago, so most the soil in the front yard is that sandy fill type dirt, which isn't very good for growing. The builder just had someone grade it and throw down some seed, and with the hustle of moving I just never had time to do anything else. So theres a huge low spot in the middle of the lawn that gets a very large puddle when it rains, of course its very hard to grow grass here. My friends will always pull up onto my side yard when the driveway fills up, and when it rains out their tires dig into the soil and ruined that lawn.

I'm just wondering if hydroseeding is the way to go for planting a new lawn.

9. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

thats .25 a square foot.. man i hope you dont do all your own estimating.... $3200 for 800 sq ft would be $4 per sq. ft.

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

The quality of the lawn will be determined by the quality of the seed. The last lawn I did was a 4-way mix of top performing KBG vatieties from NTEP.
    Better than sod quality. More disease, insect resistance. Great wear. Germination in less than a week. Earlier greenup ( the client is mowing his grass while his neighbors sod is still brown and dormant). His neighbors were laughing at him. Now, he's laughing at them.