Effectiveness of Running All Walk Behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Church2224, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Deererunner

Deererunner LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Actually, the scag is much cheaper than the exmark, I was just quoted for the 48" SWZ for $4100.

I'll be replacing all my mowers over to the scag SWZ's. To me, which I have said before, I see much more productivity out of the walk behinds then the z-turns.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

As stated before I run a 2 man crew with a 60" hustler ztr during growing season and 48" walker in fall.

I'm really considering wbs because of the complaints I'm getting.....

-I see ruts from our normal 2 outside passes.
    - divots from turning start to show up no matter what I show and tell them(guys with very little experience hoping to groom)
    - few older customers comment "that mower is so fast"

I do 90%+ smaller residentials and the average sqft might be 12-15k or under. I do have a few large mow blow go properties where a ztr would be best.

Based on being in business for 10 years and having very few 1+ acre properties I may as well stay in this smaller propert niche....residential and small commercial offices. Would just turn down larger jobs rather than buying a second ztr. I would keep the current ztr for current properties and run it as long as possible before deciding to buy another.

Cost wise I can buy 2 very good quality wbs for the same price as a ztr. Put a chute blocker in them and I'm good to go.

It really comes down to time now. Wb time vs ztr time. Even with wb taking 5-10 minutes longer I may be able to raise the quality level and in turn raise price a little. Could sell services as.....we don't use the big mowers that tear up turf.

3. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

That is pretty damn good for a Scag. Down here 4,100 is the price of the belt drive.

4. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Bingo.
    I can identify-you've found your niche and what works.
    When I put a ztr on the trailer, it was more hassle than it was worth.
    hell, I even had to use a walkbehind to pop the ztr out of some soft, spring turf one year.
    It's been a few seasons now without the ztr, but I can still spot some "wear" marks in certain lawns from the ztr.
    A ztr does have it's place-acreage. Just didn't work for my application.
    I can move through a neighborhood pretty quickly with 3 48" WB hydros, and be confident everything will look "polished" when I pull away.

5. Exmarkboy13

Exmarkboy13 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone care to post pictures of their walk behinds and setups that are "walkbehind" only?? this is a great thread, and i thought i was the only one who thought like this, so lets keep it going!

6. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

If weight has nothing to do with the pump/wheel motor combo--why did they upsize the pumps and wheel motors on 2nd generation zero turns--first generation--which used the same pumps as walkbehinds--did not last long--all things being the same except weight and speed---weight is a cause for faster decay.

my TTX weighs in at 720# and the Vantage 52 with same engine weighs in at 875# w/o rider. We walk so the weight on ours remains 720# and the Vantage goes up to 1125# w/ 250# operator--400# is significant to both the compaction of the turf and the longevity of the mower. Also with us walking behind the mower we start in the 200# range and end up in the 180-190# range with minimal turf compaction

7. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

@Exmarkboy 13--there are some shots on our facebook page www.facebook.com/landscapevermont we do own one walker that we use in spring and fall for clean-ups, for aerations, and sometimes on new clients we pick up mid season that are behind on their property and need a "summer clean-up"

we sold off all of our open trailers and will be getting a large enclosed trailer that will allow us better capacity for our landscape detailing tools. We have 3 TTS 48's 1 TTX 52" 1 toro turfmaster 30" and a walker mtghs 48" the walker will most likely be left behind

8. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

I'm solo. I run a 48 Turf Tracer. I also have a 36 Viking for backup. For now I'm very happy with this setup.

9. arkansas502

arkansas502 LawnSite Member

How long have you been in business? You have very nice equipment and do great work from the photos I looked at. Just out of curiosity, how did you go about finding quality people to work for you? I am having a problem finding the right people. Thanks

10. Deererunner

Deererunner LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

21- Toro
    32 - Ferris HydroCut
    52 - Snapper Pro Hydro
    52 - Snapper Pro Hydro
    16' Open Trailer

photo.jpg