effervescance

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bigviclbi, Mar 6, 2005.

1. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I have white powder looking stuff on dark blue pavers I installed in September. I would assume its effervescance but I have never seen this much before. I always thought it came out sooner, maybe I'll try to post a picture of it.

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

You mean efflourescence! This is very natural and it will wear off in time. The amount varies from paver to paver and manufacturer to manufacturer.

Chris

3. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Vic, did you seal the pavers? If not, wait till the spring rainfall hits it and then reevaluate. Most of it should weather away naturally. DO NOT seal the pavers until after the spring rainfall if you haven't already.

4. bigviclbi

from nj

No I know not to seal them for 6 months.They are Anchor Pavers, usually I use EP Henry and haven't run into this yet.

5. mbella

six months is a guideline. Based on the fact that they were installed in September, I wouldn't seal them until at least June.

6. cgland

If you seal them prematurely you will seal in the everfescenance.

Chris

7. mbella

I don't know about the everfescenance, but you could seal in the efflorescence. LoL.

8. cgland

9. bigviclbi

from nj

I think evervescance sounds better!I must have been using the wrong word for about two years now, nice!!Thanks for the advice, I have never sealed pavers before but I have that customer I did in late September and one in August that want them sealed. I had been under the impression they would be ready in May, but maybe I will reevaluate my thought process on that. The problem is that one of the customers rents his house(I'm at the shore) and wanted to do it before all the renters park their cars on his drive. So would june be cool for both jobs?Mbella thanks alot for all your advice on hardscape threads!

10. mbella

Vic, I would wait until at least June. See what they look like and possibly clean and then seal them. Most of the efflorescence should be out by then.