1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

efficiency of a 32"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Josh18, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

This has been my first year working in this business. I only cut 10-15 yards and go to college. I bought a 32" Exmark, pistol grip, fixed deck(the cheapest version they made) This was all my budget allowed for. It's a solid mower and I have no real complaints, but I was just wondering how efficient is it. All my accounts are no more than 1/2 acre residentials. Would a 36" save me a lot of time? Also, sometimes I use a 48" JD all wheel steer garden tractor. Even though the deck is much larger, it doesnt seem to cut any faster. Just trying to find out if anyone else is using a 32" and would it be smart to upgrade to a 36" next year? I can't afford to go any bigger than that. Thanks
  2. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You're not going to increase your productivity a good deal with 4 more inches. Keep your 32 because it will get into everywhere. When you step up, go with a 48 or 54 walkbehind or a 60 ztr. I will always have a 32 on my trailer.
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

A Dual Hydro 32" or 36" will double your productivity...
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I will only run a 32". It will go anywhere. Some gates a 36" just won't fit.
  6. seymour_glass

seymour_glass LawnSite Member

it all depends on the geography of the lawns you mow...

if you only do tiny postage stamp lawns, and/or small properties with fences, then, yeah, a 32 or 36 is probably exactly what you need. However, up here in the suburbs of detroit, there aint a whole lotta fenced lawns or postage-stamp properties. Almost every single lco I see around in the neighborhoods in oakland county typically runs a 60" z and maybe a 48" or 52"' wb for backup or whatever. i feel kinda stupid running my little 36" bcause there is litterally NO other lco around mowing with anything that small.

so i guess the point is, nobody can give you any real specifics or answer to your question unless they know the lawns you mow as well as you do, ie, someone who mows in yor area. But if you really wanna know, and this really does depend on your lawns, in many cases upgrading from a belt drive to a hydro is a much better idea than spending the money on a bigger deck. that probably gives you a clue as to why your 48 tractor doesnt mow any faster than your 32 wb.

so my advice is this: if you really want a good answer ask someone in your area. becasue really, only someone who knows the lawns in the area can tell you how efficient your mower is. Walk into a dealer and ask someone there, or even better an lco in your area, since a dealer might just want to sell you something.
  7. MightyMc12

MightyMc12 LawnSite Member

How much money would you give for a 32" Exmark. My dealer has one for sale for $1900.
  8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Seymour Glass has the right idea. It really depends on your route, but it also depends on whether you want to expand your operation.

If you like things as they are, don't mess with it (things not broken need no fixing).

On the other hand, you may want to ratchet up your business. If so, get the largest deck you can afford and will fit on your jobs. Be sure and get a machine with hydro drives. They're faster than belt-drive machines and a lot less work. Be prepared to cough up in excess of $3,000.
  9. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree 100% with that response....
  10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I need some sort of 32-36" in my trailer!! The I would have my equip. bases just about covered!!