efficient use of leaf loader

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mcwlandscaping, Sep 25, 2008.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Tomorrow or monday i'm going to be picking up my new 18hp billy goat leaf loader. I have never actually used on myself so was wondering what the most effective way to use it would be? Is it best to use it as you go along on a job or wait til the end with one big pile? Things like that or any tips and tricks that go along with getting the most efficient use out of the machine. For other equipment i'll be running a redmax ebz8001 and an eb7001...and of course rakes as needed! :) and btw, the loader will be blowing into my dump trailer. This brings up another question....this loader unit weighs 300lbs, it has the tail gate mounts on it but it just seems like it would be too heavy for a tailgate....is this true? What i may do is mount it on the tailgate and just turn the exhaust chute around so it blows into the dump trailer....any ideas on mounting this thing would be greatly appreciated as well!

thanks guys,

-mike-

2. mcwlandscaping

bump?? :)

3. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

we make one big pile and then suck them up. just curious if you are loading into the dump trailer how are you going to mow after the leaves are up? by the next day the lawn will be covered again. you might also want to look into a push blower. they will move alot more than a backpack ever will.

4. mcwlandscaping

Thanks for the reply...i run two trucks with trailers for the fall. One has the dump trailer with leaf loader and the other has the equipment trailer behind it.

-mike-

5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

just ram the pile with a mower push blowers are heavy bulky and suck to push in the soft fall ground

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

A few years ago, a couple of guys here locally thought they were real smart by converting a 18hp Salsco leafloader unit into a mulchblower.
    The thing apparently held up for maybe two or three weeks. But then, the thing just began to disintegrate rapidly, with pieces of the aluminum flywheel actually becoming airborne, along with the mulch, at one point!

And you know...those idiots actually had the nerve to try to call the damage to the flywheel something that should be covered under "warranty"! :wall

7. oakwdman

oakwdman LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike, did you buy another truck or is it someone else's? Like said before, one big pile is probably your best bet.

8. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

haha good to know.. i was thinking maybe, just maybe... but nope... Thanks.. oh and thanks for your post in that sulphate thread too. :waving:

9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Glad to be of help.....:waving:

10. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i have the same one, you'll love it. i had a swing away arm made for mine. you don't want to be taking that off everynight.