Efficient way of removing leaves from beds?? Help please

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Jan 16, 2012.

1. How loud are we talking? Enough to Pisa people off? Does it suck up mulch or rock bad? Does it suck up plants bad?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

No louder than a mower or blower running. But they do blow out alot of dust. The hose option adds significantly to the price and I dont think it has enough reach. Im in the market right now for one of the shred n vacs, either Stihl ($279) or Echo ($330). They are easy to handle and it just takes a little practice to avoid picking up extra crap. They do work great for that "every last leaf" manicured look. Capacity is too small for large areas but perfect for beds and patio areas.:usflag:

3. Patriot-off topic question. What blades are you running on your Wright? Do you get blowout with your mulch kit?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Patriot Services

Right know I've got flats on for just that reason. Gators during the growing season until it gets too dry to run them. Back the throttle down a little to help.:usflag:

5. stickleylawncare

stickleylawncare LawnSite Member

If its brand new mulch, it can grab some of it, but you can raise the nozzle up a bit and it typically leaves the heavier stuff down. With older matted down mulch, it doesnt really touch it much at all and sucks the leaves up great. When we are cutting a lot of taller hedges/shrubs that the clippings fall into beds you cant just hide by blowing, we almost always use the hose attachment. The hose works basically like any of those hand helds, just a lot stronger and faster.

6. You run gators with a plate or discharge? Do you run your kit at all during growing season?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Do you find the hose is long enough?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Patriot Services

I ran all this year here with just the plate. It all but eliminated any stringers. I haven't discharged ever in FL
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. LGL

LGL LawnSite Member

Sounds like your best bet is the Shred N Vac, I have the Little Wonder Vac, works good on the big stuff after I blow into the driveway, but honestly, I think my helper and I can bag it faster. I may look into the Shred N Vac model as well.

10. How are you not getting blowout or the line on the side?? Do you raise your deck or blades higher? I have run gators with the plate and it leaves the "clumps" on the top of the turf.....