EFI Fuel adjustments

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Runner, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Hello. I'm wondering if you can help me out with a couple of issues with my Lazer EPS. First, I have only about 400 hours on it, and this evening I did a compression test on it. I'm coming in at right around 160 pounds per cylinder. I am not sure, but isn't this supposed to be up around 180? Also, it is running rich, as my plugs are black, and a bit wet. (not good). I believe that this running like this is PROBably what has contributed to the cause of the compression drop. What I want to know is, is there any kind of adjustment that the dealer can do with the computer to make this run a bit leaner. It would sure make me feel better if I knew my plugs stayed a healthy dry and tan color, and that my motor isn't apt to puke in 1100 more hours. With it running like this, it has been my experience (extensive) that this motor won't last much longer than 1500 hours. I KNOW it is possible to get much more out of these. Thank you for your help.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Runner,

Here's what I have for you. The compression test should be at least 160 psi at about 400 rpm and not vary more than 15% side to side, so the book says. 400 rpm is about the rotational speed of the engine using the starter with a good charged battery. The compression PSI can vary if the unit has a compression release or you have a weak battery.

As for blackening of the plugs you need to get a hold of Kohler. I believe that there have been a couple of issues with TPS for the EFI. Hopefully your dealer has a good Kohler rep. and the problem can be fixed easily, if in fact the engine is have an issue.

I have seen fuel additive make the plugs change funny colors. So if it's not just the color of the plug and the unit is running poorly it should be looked at.

Here is a few other ways to contact Kohler.
    http://www.kohlerengines.com/contact.html
    Customer Service 800-544-2444 or 920-457-4441

Thanks, Fred.

3. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

The tps is a good start. The dealer can do a process called tps initialization to match the tps to the computer. One other item of importance to check is ANY exhaust leakage, from a cracked muffler to a leaking exhaust gasket. Any time exhaust is able to leak out, you also will allow air to get into the muffler. Fresh air carries a lot of oxygen. The O2 sensor sees the oxygen, thinks the engine is running lean and will add extra fuel to compensate as well.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks, Jman! We'll look in to these.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Runner,

There is one more item that you can look at and that is the oil temp sensor. I have seen some funny things happen with this.

Usually if you unplug it and plug it back in it will clean the contacts off. I would also recommend putting dielectric grease in the plug.

Thanks, Fred.