EFI or Carburetor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Lawnut101, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys, for those of you buying new mowers this year, which type of engine are you going with and why? I'm really not sure what I want to do right now. I've been seeing lots of deals on old style engines lately. Anyone that has experience with either, please chime in. Thanks in advance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. LilRabbit

LilRabbit LawnSite Member

Efi better for fuel economy & power short term if you trade up around1000 hrs. Repairing more $ I prefer carb

3. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

EFI, all the way!

4. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

I would love to have EFI mowers, just don't want to be around during repair time.. While it did warm up last wk it's has been cooling back down to normal. I went to start my mowers the other day. 27 degree day after sitting for 4wks & the low for the previous night got in the teens, they fired right up like always.. Heck even the WB, pulled the choke one pull started right up.. But would love to save $ on fuel with an EFI.. I think i'll keep buying carb motors while I can though..

5. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

Just how much more are repairs. I have been lead to believe if you are operating crews long term CARB is less headache? you may pay more for fuel but when the headache comes up it is not worth it?

6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

When the EFI hits the shop I wish I had a carb engine there goes all your fuel savings.
    When it's time to re-power it's more money again
    EFI are great engines it's just expensive to diagnose:waving:

7. StockmanLawnscape

StockmanLawnscape LawnSite Member

Just bought 4 new mowers. 3 are EFI. For as much grass as we mow, the EFI offers a significant savings on fuel consumption over the course of a year. The only reason all 4 are not EFI is because that option was not available on the 4th mower. As far as repairs, we have an in house mechanic that worked at a dealership with the same brand mowers we run. So it's a no brainer for us.

It really comes down to preference. Both have positives and negatives. Go with what you feel comfortable with.

8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

What is your house mechanic going to diagnose the EFI with.

9. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

That is basically it, EFI is really pretty simple once you get the equipment to check it out. EFI if you mow a lot will save a lot in fuel, when gas was buck a gallon for sure Carb was the way to go.

How much more efficient is EFI diesel over EFI gas?

10. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I find the conspiracy theorists amusing. If EFI broke down as much as people act like they could, dealers would be backed up with EFI service work. My dealer, though small, has yet have an EFI breakdown. Likewise, the internet would be rampant with EFI issues. EFI performance characteristics are far worth the supposed risks in running it. Once you experience, the immediate throttle response, smooth running, and fuel usage, you won't own anything else.