1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

EFI or not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The landscaper, Sep 13, 2005.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I was talking to my dealer and was asking about the kohler EFI and he acted like it would be more of headache to fix and things like that. Do any of you guys have any experience with them.

I was picking up a new rider and i could get a 23 kaw, 24 honda, or 26 kohler efi

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

These engines are nothing but reliable and excellent runners. If you are NOT looking for a trouble free motor that has no choke to mess around with, consistently starts great - even on the cold mornings, has an excellent powerband, and gets great fuel economy, then the EFI is not for you.
    It's the wave if the future. In ten years (probably closer to 5), there will be no carbureted engines. Just because HE may not have any trained technicians for them yet, don't let him influence you against it. It is true. Some of these guys don't know jack about them, so they just want to avoid them all together. The fact of the matter is, they REALLY aren't any trouble anyways. The dealesr just see the few that MAY have some troubles...this is very few and far between, and is no more common than carbureted engines.
  3. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

I have a Kohler 28hp EFI and there's no way I would own a ZTR without EFI. I have 600 hours on the engine and I have had NO Problems! I had to use a Toro ZTR with the 27hp Kohler and I hated having to choke it. Also, the EFI will save you some serious gas. The EFI doesn't burn as much gas and I have proof using two different machines for the last two years. Definately buy the EFI if you can!
  4. The landscaper

Sounds pretty lopsided here. I was especially interested in it because it was an extra 2 or 3 hp. Thanks for the inupt so far
  5. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

There is definately a lack of mechanics qualified to work on some EFIj engines. I just wonder why the manufactures are not pushing dealerships to educate their mechanics and offer the diagnostic equipment to aid in their repairs.

We shall see....

6. The landscaper

Im getting the Yazoo/kees 61' max 2 with the 26 kohler efi out the door for under 6000. Anyone else interested in a deal like that?
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 28 EFI Kohler on my Dixie and all I can say is sweet! Even on 35 degree mornings you just hit the key and it starts and idles. It's great on gas and trouble free too.

I have heard reports of problems with this EFI but I think they had something to do with the computer running in "limp home" mode because they kept clogging the O2 sensor with soot and running rich. Bosch has been making EFI for a long time and they pretty much have it down to a science.
  8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

my ko 26 efi must be a lemon then. always having to fix something else. mowers in the shop more than on yards. i like the power and fuel savings, but it is used less and i spend more on repairs than the others. less than a 1000 hrs too. all the newer mowers now have more hrs from trouble free operation than the 26 efi. its the muffler, its the o2 sensor, the ground wire, the fuel pump (twice), it bogs down and dies... fixed that problem and now its overheating imidiatly after. was only back in service half a day. i hope the newr ones are better. otherwise i prefer the ko ch18s the most.
  9. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I've had 4 efis and currently run one 26 and two 28's. I ve had a couple very minor issues. Overall, they are awesome, would'nt want another one without it. In the process of checking fuel useage on one of my 28's, very early number and I'll try to update later but so far it looks like .9 gallons per hour.
  10. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Most everyone is now driving cars and pickups with EFI. Is it reliable for you? For most everyone the answer is yes.

As far as working on them, it is not that difficult. Every once in awhile you might need to replace a sensor, but the trouble code will tell you which one. Just keep water out of the fuel, change fuel filters regularly and run them.

I really wish that my latest mower had been available with EFI. I expect that in the next 4 or 5 years you won't be buying anything else. A carburetor is just an antique device nowdays.

Good luck,