EFI or not?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Armadillolawncare, May 11, 2007.

1. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at purchasing either the 2007 60" 28 Kohler with EFI for $9999 or the 2007 60" 27 Kohler without EFI for $8999. Can anyone tell me what the benefits of having the fuel injection versus not and if it is worth it? I don't want to have to rely solely on what the dealer will tell me. Thank you for your assistance.

2. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I have a 26EFI and a 28EFI that have both been bullet proof, start easy every time, very easy on gas, and have tons of power. Some guys have close to 2000 hrs on theres without any major problems. The 28EFI will flat out, out perform the 27hp, better response, better fuel economy...

3. Armadillolawncare

Thanks for the response. I really can't decide if I should spend the extra money for the EFI. But since you say that there is a noticable performance difference I think I am leaning towards the EFI. I am hoping the Exmark rep might chime in with what he thinks the added benifits of EFI are.

4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

How long do you plan on keeping the mower?
    The EFI will save some fuel and will perform a little better than the carb engine. One thousand dollars is alot of money.
    If the EFI used a 1/4 gallon of fuel less per hour, it will take a long time to recapture your thousand dollar investment.
    I you put 600-800 hours on a mower per season and plan on keeping it for 4-5 years, it might be worth it.

5. Armadillolawncare

At this point I probably won't put anywhere near 800 hours a year on it. I am getting a bigger mower to handle the larger lots I am getting. I now have 5 larger lots, one of which takes 6 hours to mow with my current equipment. I also just picked up another 4 acre account that is going to pay me 400-500 per cut once a month. These are all rough cuts, very weedy and at times very long.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a Kawasaki 29 dfi would be and ideal mower for those large lots. Briggs would have more power but the Kaw should last a long time (liquid cooled). I like the 28 Kohler OK but cant justify the price?

7. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I think the Kaw 29DFI is even more money than the 28EFI, if I remember

8. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

The efi won't stumble on the rough ground. Ive had problems with carbureted units flooding/ choking from too much fuel when bouncing over bumpy ground.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes a water cooled Kawasaki with efi would be more expensive than a air cooled kohler with efi.