Efi Vs Carb & Seat Selection

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by #1Pappy, Mar 15, 2008.

1. #1Pappy

#1Pappy LawnSite Member

OK, I need to get the real skinny on the 08 models. I believe an "AS" with 28HP/60" would do me fine, but am leaning toward the "Z" to get the 28HP Kohler with EFI/60". Is the EFI as good as as the brochure says for fuel economy? I'd really hate to go EFI and end up pi$$in in the wind!
    Also is the suspension seat really all it's cracked up to be?
    If we're talking mere assumptions, I'll probably go the AS route, but am willing to go with the Z if EFI and suspension seat are the real deal!
    thanx.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

#1Pappy,

I think the EFI is great when it comes to fuel economy (as good or better than diesels), and the full suspension seat is worth more than the price tag, but i'll let other "users" chime in on this!

KC

3. #1Pappy

#1Pappy LawnSite Member

Thank you. I appreciate it.

4. toddy204

toddy204 LawnSite Senior Member

I was told that the 28 efi has as much usable hp as the 31 Briggs. Is this true?

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

toddy204,

I'm not sure. I will tell you that the 28 EFI seems to have great power. The 31 Vanguard is no slouch either!

6. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting ready to buy one of these 2 mowers also and like #1Pappy, Is it going to be worth the extra $$? If I get the AS, I was going to go ahead and get the full suspension set, But the other upgrades that come with the EFI might make it the better choice in the long run.

7. anthonyslandscaping

anthonyslandscaping LawnSite Member

rough estimate says if you only get 1/2 the fuel increase advertised and gas cost $4.00/gal. should take 120 tanks of gas to pay for itself ($800 more for EFI vs carb. laser Z).

Just picked one up this week. Will post back once the weather breaks and we start cutting.

8. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

if you buy the 28EFI you will NOT be disappointed ! It not only gets great fuel economy, but is the smoothest engine you'll find. The power and response to real life use is nothing less than amazing. My experience with this engine goes back over three years. The surprising thing to me is that it isn't offered on more models and deck sizes. I'd LOVE to be able to get it on a 52 Ultracut!

9. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

Another vote for the 28/efi. My Z has 1200hrs & other than a ocassional "puff" of blue smoke at start-up(valve guide seals?) It starts right-a-way, no stalls, no back fires, Plenty of power. Also i'm getting .8 ish +/-GPH @ 80% to WOT. Even with the "puff" i never have to add oil to it.